archer7282

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Am helping a friend of mine (who is extremely cash strapped) rehab his old computer to allow his children to use it as a internet portal / simple home pc.

specs on the pc are as along the lines of;

Celeron @ 2.0 ghz

256 mbs of DDR ram

a gigabyte motherboard

only using onboard video & a pretty basic PSU.

The system originally came with a 40GB IDE hard Drive.

SOooooooo..... being the friendly friend that i am, after cleaning the computer up, i dropped in a old 512mb stick of DDR ram that i had, and a spare 250 GB ide drive.

Did a fresh install of XP SP3, downloaded appropriate programs etc (firefox,avast,glary utilities,auslogic disk defrag, etc.) Everything is running very nicely and I am quite surprised with how snappy the system is.

However.

When booting the system up from a cold start without fail i get a message on the screen saying (Operating system not found) and it stops there. If i then hit the Reset button it resets and boots normally.

I am stumped as to what could be causing this problem. The computer only does this after its been powered down for a while................ my only guess is that the HDD that put in is an older IDE 250 GB drive (4-5 yrs) maybe it just takes a little while for it to spin up? and the power cycle for a cold start is not enough time???

If you need any screen shots or further explanation from me please say so. The computer is perfectly workable as is... but I would like it to be nearly flawless for his kids to use.

Thanks

archer7282

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Decided to run the drive thru HD Tune to see if thats the problem. Here is a screenshot.

pic1kh.png

By archer7282 at 2010-09-29

am a bit worried about that first big dip? could that indicate some kind of problem...

error scan on hd tune said all was well... as does the info and the health tabs.