Odd "Reboot and select proper boot device" Issue after new upgrade.

mmuir

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Hello

I am throwing this out here, because I am honestly stumped on this issue. I sometimes get "Reboot and select proper boot device" when I boot up my computer. This issue started this weekend after upgrading from my old FX 8350 on a ASUS board, and going to a Ryzen 7 1700X on a MSI board.

The odd thing about this issue is it does not happen every other time, or even every other time. It seems to almost happen at random, but does seem to happen more when the computer is coming on from a completely powered down state. This randomness has been a pain with trouble shooting, because I will try something out. It would work for my testing, and then do it again after I felt that I fixed it.

It should be noted that So far when I get the Reboot and select proper boot device. All I have to do is hit Ctrl Alt Delete, computer restarts and it detects it. To me it almost seems like the SSD hasn't woken up, or is seen by the motherboard. That being said here are a few things that I did try.

Cleared CMOS
Changed Boot Order
Removed all other boot options Except for the SSD from bios
Double check wires
Double Checked CMOS battery
Bios are up to date.
Checked the drives for errors. ( Should be noted. This drive is six months old. Only used for OS, and never once gave me problems in my last system. )

I have not tried reinstalling Windows 10 because 1. As far as I can tell from tests inside of Windows. Windows itself doesn't seem to have any stability issues outside of not detecting at boot. Outside of that it runs perfectly fine and quickly. 2. I am a college student and need my computer during this first week, so I am thinking of nuking the machine this weekend. and 3. I am kicking around the Idea of getting an M.2 NVMe SSD for my boot drive.

But I would still like to get some idea of where I am going wrong and why this is happening. More so if it happens with the new M.2 Drive.

Anyway. Thanks for the help.

Current Specs

Ryzen 1700X
MSI X370 Gaming Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 ( running at 2800 ) 16GB
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB
PNY 240GB SSD CS1311
WD Blue 3TB Hard Disk
Seagate 2TB Hard drive

Solution
I would try a clean Windows 10 install onto the SSD since you nuked it anyways or were planning to if it is already backed up. Set it to UEFI and see if you can get stability on a few boots into Windows 10 with no legacy anything. Disconnect any drives that are not the SSD for this test. I'd hate to see the same issue on the M.2. If you have an old Windows 10 installation from a previous system in UEFI mode and move it to another system it can cause problems.

jr9

Estimable
- SSD should not need time to fire up and if you had an issue where the drive wasn't spun up (issue with HDD sometimes) you would get the error device is not ready. I don't think there are any hardware issues here.

- Was your old motherboard+Windows 10 installation legacy or UEFI?

mmuir

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
I want to say UEFI. >.> But honestly I don't remember. I have had the one configured and running happy for years.

That being said the new MSI board is running in a Legacy + UEFI mode that seems to be default. I also completely wiped all three main hard drives. Saving only important documents on an outside drive. I did that to avoid issues such as moving movie Windows between hardware. Just seems easier to reinstall than deal with possible issues down the road.

Also to add to the build. I might have done something bad in between posting, and bought a Corsair Force MP500 NVMe Drive. So I will for sure be reinstalling this weekend. But I still find this an odd issue, and would like to solve it. If not just for future reference, or if the M.2 gives me the same trouble.

jr9

Estimable
Try setting it to just UEFI on the MSI board. Disable legacy.

Wiping was a good move. I would try to get everything on the UEFI train especially if you want to move to M.2. With M.2 you always want to keep things UEFI. If you try to use legacy anything or BIOS settings with m.2 you're gonna have a bad time.

mmuir

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
I will keep that in mind about the UEFI for when I reinstall this weekend, but I do want to point out that I did have it set to UEFI during testing, but it seemed to not help / made it worse at the time. But looking back at it now. It could easily have been bad timing with when the issue happened, but I expected to go in and change it for the M.2.

jr9

Estimable
I would try a clean Windows 10 install onto the SSD since you nuked it anyways or were planning to if it is already backed up. Set it to UEFI and see if you can get stability on a few boots into Windows 10 with no legacy anything. Disconnect any drives that are not the SSD for this test. I'd hate to see the same issue on the M.2. If you have an old Windows 10 installation from a previous system in UEFI mode and move it to another system it can cause problems.

Solution

mmuir

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Yeah. That's what I am planning on doing. M.2 Should be here Friday. So I will go ahead and fresh install on that, but I will also do more testing too. I will update this thread after everything is done.

mmuir

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Update on the issue. It seems after both the M.2 install and the reinstall of Windows 10. It seems to be working. No issues going on one day and extensive testing. I have a theory on what happened. I think the Windows install was corrupted. Perhaps by it being installed with both Legacy and UEIF, or maybe by the over clocking of my Ram at the time. Never the less. Clearing Bios, and reinstalling. Along with double checking all drives again / adding a new drive has fixed the issue.