Odd restart problems on home built system

Reiten

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Sorry, my original question didn't go through.

I'm having 2 restart problems with my new home built system. I'm using a fresh install of Win7 (on HDD from previous machine) with an Asus H87 series mobo. I'm not sure if my two problems are related or not.

First problem: I have no restart/logoff/sleep options next to the Shutdown button. If I click on the triangle, I get a blank/transparent drop down menu with nothing in it. If I hover the pointer over it, I see the "working" icon, but no pop-up information or anything to click on. Just the outer outline/border. I've tried editing the Type gpedit.msc (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar) without any luck (information taken from: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-start-menu-power-button-missing-shut/95729fa3-f047-e011-a756-78e7d160ad4e

Second problem: When I do select restart due to software installation/updating, whether Win7 or other software, the computer doesn't restart. It will go through the updating messages, then I'll see the "shutting down" message. My keyboard and mouse (both USB wired) will lose power and my monitors will go blank, but the computer doesn't shut off. I can still hear HDD activity for a while. Eventually, that will stop and I'll have to do a force shutdown after there isn't any HDD activity for a while. Then I have to restart the computer w/ the power button on the case. So far, that hasn't caused any damage, but I'm worried it will eventually (not to mention being a big hassle). I've checked in the BIOS, but don't see any obvious solutions there.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

it a asus bios glitch. first off make sure your mb running the newest bios file.if it not you just want to do this extra step. with the bios glitch...take power off the mb...unplug it from the wall and wait for the power good led to go out. then clear your cmos. after you clear your cmos go in and save the bios to default settings and reboot. on reboot windows 7 should shut down fine. if it is go back into the bios and update it and then make sure the bug not back.