Odd Ryzen 5 CPU Usage in Deus Ex: MD

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I was running some canned benchmarks to see how my Ryzen 5 1600X compared with my i5-7600 both using a GTX 1070. Everything was at stock clocks. Overall, they have been fairly comparable at gaming benchmarks... except for CPU Usage in one game; DE:MD.

Using the ultra preset w/16X AF, the i5 CPU usage was 100% across all threads.
The Ryzen averaged 47% usage. (All 12 threads averaging 38.2% to 73.6% usage)
But both CPUs allowed the GTX 1070 to easily obtain 100% usage. As a result, both benchmarks averaged around 60 - 80 fps @ 1080p. (I was using HWinfo64 to monitor)

I guess I am surprised that the Ryzen had so much headroom left compared to my i5. Yes I know, there are 12 threads vs 4. Thoughts? I guess I was expecting near 100% usage with the Ryzen too.

Solution
This is the reason that some reviewers have been saying, i5 being the go-to gaming recommendation may not last much longer. The i5, while not a bad CPU, simply hasn't any more to give in a great deal of gaming situations.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks both of you. You're kinda confirming my suspicions. Both Firestrike and Time Spy benchmarks were noticeably higher with the 1600X too, adding that to the mix. Neither one took the CPU to 100% usage. I would suspect tho, that if I had the K version of the i5 and OC'ed them both, the i5 would come out ahead. Still, it's nice to have competition again.