[SOLVED] Odd "Select proper boot device" issue

Tympanista

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Ive done a lot of troubleshooting and no success.

Context: I removed a HDD from my PC so I could replace my front case fans (HDD was in the way of lower screws). Both this HDD and my SSD have an installation of Windows 10 (SSD being main boot drive). Now I can't boot from either drive regardless of which is connected. I did not even touch my SSD before this issue happened.

I've reset bios by removing CMOS battery and holding power on the unplugged PC. I've checked which drives are selected for booting several times. I've reseated relevant SATA and power cables. I did have to move some cables a little aggressively due to some poor cable management decisions from who built the pc. Maybe even reseating the PSU cables should be done? (Big hassle at this time and probably pointless since I can't see how the cable movement would have upset the drive power cable connection.

The motherboard is the AORUS AX370-GAMING K5

Solution
When replacing the storage drives, did you make sure to connect the drives in their corresponding ports? if you're able to get into BISO, can you check and see what BISO version you're on at the time of writing? Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Both this HDD and my SSD have an installation of Windows 10 (SSD being main boot drive).
^ You might want to elaborate on this.

What version of Windows 10 were you on?

Lutfij

Titan
When replacing the storage drives, did you make sure to connect the drives in their corresponding ports? if you're able to get into BISO, can you check and see what BISO version you're on at the time of writing? Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Both this HDD and my SSD have an installation of Windows 10 (SSD being main boot drive).

Solution

Tympanista

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014

Drives were connected to their corresponding ports.
BIOS version F22.
PSU is EVGA 850 BQ. Between 3 and 4 years old.

I started with windows installed on the HDD before I got the SSD. Installed separate Windows on the SSD and kept the other installation on the HDD in case I needed to boot from the HDD. Never had an issue until removing and reconnecting the HDD, which has somehow led to not being able to boot from either drive.

Not sure what version of win10 on SSD but it should be recent standard version.

Last edited:

Tympanista

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Issue apparently solved. I'd have to guess disconnecting the HDD (E drive) upset the boot load order. And, even though my SSD (C drive) is what I run my OS on, I need the boot manager on the E drive to boot first and then the SSD after that. 🤷‍♂️