[SOLVED] Odd sound coming from my graphics card...

33miles-

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016
Hi all! :) I just upgraded my GPU from an Nvidia Zotac GTX 970 Extreme core edition to a AMD Sapphire R9 Nano. So far the card performs very well but it has one strange issue. Every time I bring a game or anything up that would begin to utilize the GPU resources I instantly hear a strange high pitched kinda electrical buzzing sound. It's not the GPU fan because I hear that sound independently once temps kick up. This sound starts the second I pull up a game, and goes away the second I alt-tab or exit out from it. Is there a way to fix this or is this normal? I have owned a ton of graphics cards before, and have never had this happen. I will admit though that most of my cards have been Nvidia I have only had maybe 3 AMD ones. On a side note, I am using a new video cable that I just got from Amazon. It's an HDMI to DVI one. My GTX 970 had a DVI port but the new AMD R9 Nano did not, so it was necessary. Could that cable make the GPU produce that sound possibly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to your replies. :)

System specs:
Mobo: Biostar H61MGC
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570S @ 3.1 GHz
GPU: AMD R9 Nano 4GB
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
PSU: EVGA 600 watt 80 plus bronze
Storage: 1 TB Sandisk SSD (Main drive) & 60 GB Mushkin SSD (Secondary drive)
Monitor: LG Flatron W2452T @ 1920x1200 native res

Some inductors, aka choke or coil, are very small and the glue that holds the pieces together sometimes fails. This causes the noise you hear. When the glue fails the pieces vibrate rapidly especially when more current is passed through them, such as a load when gaming. Usually the inductors do not fail, however I would send it back if it is still under warranty.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
yes, that is called coil whine

some gpus are know for this annoying noise

it is becoming a real problem because alot of people buying high end gpus mention it and you pretty much can't do anything about it to mitigate the noise

you learn to live with it or you sell that gpu and buy another

33miles-

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016
Thanks for the replies everyone! :) So that’s what coil whine sounds like. I have never had a GPU do that before which is strange seeing as I have had many. @Phaaze88 thanks for the video, funny that both my mentioned card models were in it hehe. :) I guess I’ll just have to get used to it because other than the whine I love the AMD R9 Nano and it performs very well along with giving me access to all my sata ports two of which were covered by the super long GTX 970. So again thanks everyone for all the great replies and I hope you have a great night. :sleep:

Reactions: Phaaze88

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
recently i have heard alot people mention rtx 2080 ti and coil whine too, so it happens, not that much, but you hear people complaining and returning gpus thanks to that

it seems to happen alot to gpus with high power consumption that gives lots of fps on most games

perhps you are like me, always buying middle to low range gpus, those use alot less watts and give alot less fps on games, sadly

i heard once people trying noise insulation on cases to try to manage the noise, but is a high pitch noise, and sound dampening materials often handle poorly such noises