Question Odd sound issue

Jan 25, 2023
I won't bore you with specs. I have a set of AlTech Lansing 2.1 speakers. I had the first set in 2005 and recently replaced them with the same after trying a set of Klipsh.

My issue is, every so often the left speaker goes really low in volume. I have to pull the input from the PC, wipe it off and everything is fine. This was occurring about every 2 months. However, it now happens overnight. Also, it's not a faulty connector on the motherboard as my older PCV had the same issue.

Does anyone know of a solution. I've tried Cramolin in the past but am looking for a better option. TIA

I won't bore you with specs. I have a set of AlTech Lansing 2.1 speakers. I had the first set in 2005 and recently replaced them with the same after trying a set of Klipsh.

My issue is, every so often the left speaker goes really low in volume. I have to pull the input from the PC, wipe it off and everything is fine. This was occurring about every 2 months. However, it now happens overnight. Also, it's not a faulty connector on the motherboard as my older PCV had the same issue.

Does anyone know of a solution. I've tried Cramolin in the past but am looking for a better option. TIA
The "newerish to full on new" mobos have audio chips that control the audio equalizers and everything. They don't play well with older headsets for some reason I have found using an "external audio sound boards" to plug older headsets into works amazing and even improves the audio quality. I will post a link in a moment to the one or similar to the one I use.

DYNASTY PROAUDIO PMC-1 Premium Passive Stereo Monitor Volume Controller With Large Volume Knob For Extremely Precise Level Adjustments https://a.co/d/ahzo8Tp
Plug the PC into stereo in and plug headphones into stereo out works great

Jan 25, 2023
I think you misunderstood the issue. It not the volume control but the Jack on the pc and the plug from the speakers are randomly intermittent. Am going to try a usb to 3.5mm converter to see if the jack on the mb is bad or loose.

Reactions: white.a.drew
I think you misunderstood the issue. It not the volume control but the Jack on the pc and the plug from the speakers are randomly intermittent. Am going to try a usb to 3.5mm converter to see if the jack on the mb is bad or loose.
I didn't misunderstand I got what you were saying.... I have this issue with a lot of newer towers and laptops with older headphones this was my solution to it. I do recommend your idea first and see if your audio port on the mobo is bad or not... But if it's not the port I still suggest using what I posted cleared up all my audio issues. newer head sets I can plug straight into most PCs no problem, older headsets have horindous backfeed issues, audio distorted on one side or the other, audio straight cuts out on one side or the other some case just cut out. I use that and all issues go away it doesn't just control the volume it adds a extra decipher to the audio before it fully hits the headset and makes playback easier for the system

Jan 25, 2023
[B]white.a.drew[/B], well, I tried the adapter, and it didn't solve the issue, so I started looking elsewhere. I took the speakers to the work bench and pulled out my scope and dvm. After checking the wires I made a variable oscillator and plugged the speakers into them. After a day the volume dropped on the left. Tracing with the scope I found the volume control, "which I leave at full," was the culprit.

Pulled it apart and cleaned it. Working better than it ever did. back to shaking the walls. Thank you for the assist!!!