Odd Speaker Buzzing Issue

Jun 19, 2018
Hi guys,

I've read a bunch threads on speaker buzz related to EMI, etc etc.I can't find a problem like mine.

Pre-cursor: My z-2300 system worked great 6months ago. Two things have changed since then. 1) Moved to a new construction house and 2) Upgraded my computer case.

Anyway, here's what's tricky. If I have no other cables plugged into my PC (inc. power) and plug in the speaker, buzz. If I plug in the ethernet cable, more buzz. If I plug in the power cable, even more buzz (and it doesn't matter if the power cable is coming off my UPS or wall outlet). Even if nothing is plugged into the computer and I touch the edge of a USB port, buzz. DVI out, buzz. And as more stuff gets plugged in (please remember power isn't necessary more buzz. If I plug the cable into my phone, silence. And music sounds great coming out of them.

I think the fact that nothing needs to be plugged into the PC aside from teh speakers rules out a grounding issue with the house (esp since I have 2 other 5.1 setups and Sonos everywhere with no issue), but I'm stuck where to go from here. Seems isolated to the computer case....how to troubleshoot.

TIA. Nick K.

Jun 19, 2018

Hi Mike
Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot??

Jun 19, 2018

Just finished doing this. Pulled apart the remote that runs between the sub (where the speakers connect) and input jack. Spliced into the wires and checked continuity on both L & R audio an the ground - all was well. Also just brought up an older desktop and a laptop into the same room and no buzz on either of those....don't understand what could be the issue with the case though if I get buzz with absolutely NO cables plugged into it.