Odd ssd problem.

SgtRats

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I realize that the title is kind of vague. I don't really know what is going on. So I have two SSDs in my current PC. One is a 100GB Samsung 850 EVO (boot) and the other is a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro (storage). The 1TB drive has been having issues (disk write errors) for the past two weeks and we determined that it is corrupted. When I remove the 1TB ssd and boot my computer, it tells me to insert a proper boot device and restart, but my boot drive is still in the computer and recognized by the BIOS. Then, out of curiosity, I took out the 100GB boot drive and left the corrupted one in, and there was no such error. Granted it was not able to properly boot into windows because it is corrupted, it made it farther than the boot drive is.
Does anyone know why it this is happening and how to fix it so I can take out the corrupted 1TB drive and run off of only the 100GB?

Let me know if you need any additional specs or information and I will reply as soon as possible.
Thanks.
~Jon

Solution
If you had both drives installed when windows was loaded, windows puts boot files on both drives. Should only have one drive when loading windows. The after MB drivers and etc are loaded and comp is running right, install other drives. You might be able to use your windows install disk and select the repair boot option. Boot with the windows disk in an optical drive and you should see the repair option.

Trim function might not be working on your 1TB SSD since the OS is on the other SSD.
If you had both drives installed when windows was loaded, windows puts boot files on both drives. Should only have one drive when loading windows. The after MB drivers and etc are loaded and comp is running right, install other drives. You might be able to use your windows install disk and select the repair boot option. Boot with the windows disk in an optical drive and you should see the repair option.

Trim function might not be working on your 1TB SSD since the OS is on the other SSD.

Solution