Odd temps on 5820k?

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Just recently picked up a Intel 5820k processor and paired it with the MSI X99A SLI Plus mobo, and Noctua D15S cooler. I have OCd the CPU and currently running at x44 1.200v and 1.900 VCCIN, stable after 45 minute AIDA64 run.

The question Im having is that at idle my temps are 44-48c (which to me seems super high for idle), and when being stressed on AIDA64 the max temps get as high as 70c. Another thing when I stress tested the CPU for over an hour at x43 1.200v and 1.900 VCCIN, the max temps were upwards of 73-74c. I thought that was odd being at a higher multiplier and then having lower temps.

sammy sung

Distinguished
Idle temps typically aren't the main concern, as opposed to the stressed high. To get a fully applicable temperature I like to stress the whole system, which can be done with programs like AIDA, prime and everest. I'll typically stress the processor & GPU via AIDA then run in the HDD/SSD with HDtune. As well as running a few other processes in the background. The idea is to give it a fully unrealistic load, and creating as much heat, ambient, as could happen.

Regardless, if your case/room ambient temperature is a bit on the higher side, that can be a direct catalyst. I wouldn't really begin to worry about the package high until you're breaking 80c.

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks for the response!

I know an idle temp of 45c will not necessarily harm the CPU, but just seems really high to me. In turn that will be making the CPU heatsink run at higher speeds, which will create more noise. Not that the Noctua is loud at 1200 RPM, but just an observation I had while OCing this particular chip.