Odd, uniform GPU usage oscillations

LushBeats

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
When I'm playing certain games, my GPU usage appears to oscillate in a very odd and uniform way that leads me to believe it might be developing a problem.

Here's the GPU usage when I'm playing Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin. I get a smooth 60 FPS on the highest settings in this game.

zXThzzr.png

Here's the GPU usage when I'm playing Fallout 4. The initial, more uniform oscillations occur when I'm inside a small cave (at a smooth 60 FPS). The plateau with smaller oscillations occurs when I'm out in the world, where I get framerates between 35 and 60.

CRXMS5P.png

I've poked around the internet a lot trying to find someone with a similar problem, but I haven't had any luck. Please let me know what you think!

Edit: I forgot to post system specs, so here they are.

AMD FX-8320
Raedon R9 380 (2G)
8 GB RAM
Corsair CX 500M
ASUS M5A97

ashwinmevin

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Under those circumstances, I'd recommend lifting the application defaults in mbcuda.cfg, for a 460 more or less dedicated running Cuda MB, around:
[mbcuda]
processpriority = abovenormal
pfblockspersm = 4
pfperiodsperlaunch = 200
Under those circumstances, I'd recommend lifting the application defaults in mbcuda.cfg, for a 460 more or less dedicated running Cuda MB, around:

[mbcuda]
processpriority = abovenormal
pfblockspersm = 4
pfperiodsperlaunch = 200

Also, perhaps check there aren't any crazy unnecessary motherboard utilities, or other background processes you don't want/need, running.

oracle training in chennai | informatica training in chennai

Feb 24, 2020
Had the same issue. It seems to re occur every time i update my NVIDIA display drivers using the NVIDIA app. For me solving it was fairly easy. I dont use the NVIDIA app anymore. However a key step is Display Driver Uninstaller from guru3d. First DL you new drivers directly from NVIDIA website. Then run DDU, restart, install new drivers, restart. Fixed.

Edit: my Afterburner graph looked exactly the same as ops.