Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My MSN Messenger contacts go into Outlook Express and how
do I remove them. I went to Tools, Options, and unchecked
Automatically logon to Windows Messenger. That is
unchecked but since I'm using MSN Messenger I didn't know
what else to do. Any ideas?

Running XP Home.

Greetings Eric,

To fix this, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

After this, Messenger will no longer be linked into Outlook Express, and the contacts will no
longer be added.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My MSN Messenger contacts go into Outlook Express and how
> do I remove them. I went to Tools, Options, and unchecked
> Automatically logon to Windows Messenger. That is
> unchecked but since I'm using MSN Messenger I didn't know
> what else to do. Any ideas?
>
> Running XP Home.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, but Jonathan isn't there any other way besides that
reg file? Why does that work and not any other method?

Eric

Jonathan Kay.

>"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> My MSN Messenger contacts go into Outlook Express and
how
>> do I remove them. I went to Tools, Options, and
unchecked
>> Automatically logon to Windows Messenger. That is
>> unchecked but since I'm using MSN Messenger I didn't
know
>> what else to do. Any ideas?
>>
>> Running XP Home.
>

>.

Hi Eric,

No, there is no other way, there's no "option" in the interface to turn this off, this .reg
file turns the feature off.

> Yeah, but Jonathan isn't there any other way besides that
> reg file? Why does that work and not any other method?
>
> Eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Jonathan,

Actually, I found an alterative solution without using
the reg file. Customize the toolbar in Outlook Express.
Right-click a blank area, select Customize, and in the
right window locate Windows Messenger. Then click Remove.
It doesn't actually remove it from the toolbar but it
doesn't open when you start Outlook Express.

Hi Eric,

That's because you've turned some of the functionality off somewhere else and this just
finished the job. Unlike my registry file (which just blocks it all in one swoop). But
whatever.