G

I was wondering if oem drives come with ide cables? I want to buy an oem ibm 60 gig drive from www.newegg.com and i am not sure if i need to pick up an ata 100 ide cable also.
Thanks

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Usually they only come with retail kits. If you get OEM it's usually just the drive, so you will probably need a cable.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i tried to post this last night, and i guess it didnt get through, because i think that the server was shutdown temporarily or something...but ata-100 cables dont exist...ata-66 are what they use...someone might say it is an ata-100 cable, but they are all the same, and will run ata-100...
so just use the ones you have if you already have ata-66, and if you need to get one, then just go pick up an ata-66 cable, or get one that is labeled ata-100 ( i have seen them, but they are the same as the ata-66 cables...80 wires, 40 pins....lol, i cant believe that they are able to do that!)
when going with oem, it is best to get oem hard drives, and oem cpus. motherboards are ok, but they usually come with an ata-66 cable, and a warranty. and a warranty on a motherboard is a good thing to have...
oem computer speakers are ok too, if you can find them..
oem video cards are a gamble...sometimes they have slower ram...sometimes they are the same, minus the shiny packaging, and the software.
so getting an oem hard drive is a good idea, unless you really want the warranty that comes with them.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-