OEM Hard Drive + OEM Windows 7 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I tried searching this but I couldn't find anything, sorry if there was a thread before like this one, I couldn't find it.
Ok, so I'm thinking of building an (almost) entirely new system and to make it cheaper I'll buy the OEM version of Win7 and an OEM hard drive, my question is, is there anything special I have to do with the OEM hard drive to install Win7 onto it? Not very familiar with hard drives so not sure. For that matter, is there anything different about the OEM version of Win7 besides it binding to your motherboard? i.e. something that makes it more difficult/complicated to install... Also, if you guys don't mind, what hard drive would you recommend to me (must be fairly cheap, nothing $250)?
-Thanks
P.S. I understand the OEM hard drive doesn't come with screws or anything but I'll be getting a case featuring tool less drive bays :D

Solution
The only difference beween an OEM hard drive and a regular retail hard drive is that the retail version comes with fancy packaging and a CD and maybe a few odds and ends such as screws. The OEM version is just the hard drive with no extras and no special packaging (often referred to as a bare drive).

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
The only difference beween an OEM hard drive and a regular retail hard drive is that the retail version comes with fancy packaging and a CD and maybe a few odds and ends such as screws. The OEM version is just the hard drive with no extras and no special packaging (often referred to as a bare drive).

Solution
G

So there's nothing else I have to do to it when I'm installing Win7 on it? I heard someone mention something called partitioning and am confused on what that is...?

Partitioning is just setting up the drive so it seems to be seperate drives in the OS, if you have say a 1TB drive you can partition it so you have 2 500GB partitions or 4 250gb partitions or a 750 partition + a 250 partition, etc.

G

Oh, I see. Thanks =]

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Windows 7 should partition your drive for you when you install it. All you have to do is select the drive as the install location during setup. The same thing happens when you install a retail hard drive. Functionally there is no difference.

Obviously, you must supply any cables and mounting screws necessary to hook it up and mount it into your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.