OEM or Full-price Windows 10 Home for new build

Sep 19, 2018
Hey,

I'm close to building my first desktop and need some advice regarding whether or not to go for an OEM. I'm already a little over budget and am unsure if I should go for an OEM to save about £40. I'm aware that there's little tech support available directly to Windows but, nevertheless, I thought I'd ask here also.

I'm hoping to upgrade my rig over time where necessary and so I'm slightly hesitant to buy an OEM copy of Windows 10. What do you think? Should I cut the price and do it or is it worth investing a bit more just to make sure I don't have issues later on? How common are issues with OEM users that cause larger problems down the line?

Solution
Yes buy an OEM copy. I have been using OEM copies for many many years with no issues.

Should you need to change your motherboard for some reason in the future your copy will be linked to your Microsoft account. You can deactivate your old hardware and reactivate your new hardware. We have many threads on this.

Ron_30

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
I have purchased OEM versions of windows for all my builds and have never had an issue. Even when upgrading the machine parts a call to MS to reactivate software was not a problem.

I'd actually ask this on the microsoft site for a sure answer.

Some ppl say it just takes a call to activate as logn as u have the OEM product key.

Others say that it works only as logn as the Motherboard is not changed.

Asking the company itself would be best shot for 100% sure answer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes buy an OEM copy. I have been using OEM copies for many many years with no issues.

Should you need to change your motherboard for some reason in the future your copy will be linked to your Microsoft account. You can deactivate your old hardware and reactivate your new hardware. We have many threads on this.

Solution