"OEM Partion" made visible after April Update

kerashi

Honorable
May 7, 2012
A 450MB partition called "OEM Partition" just appeared on my drive after the latest update, and Windows is pestering me with notifications about it not having much space. Is there a way to hide it, or at least shut down the annoying notifications?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you right click start
choose disk management
take a screen shot showing all the partitions on the drive, upload it to an image sharing web site like imgur and share a link here,

I just want to see what partition is before I suggest anything. Don't do it if it says system in the drive description.

To hide it you go into disk management, right click the partition and pick Change drive letter and paths
then click remove button, if it asks for confirmation, click yes.

Here is what Microsoft suggest - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/555622/how-to-remove-the-low-disk-space-warning

kerashi

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Here's that screen shot from Disk Management. The partition in question is I; at the right of Disk 0, my SSD, and "appears" empty when browsed to (not even a hidden file) but is obviously not empty, leading me to think it's some system thing. The fact that there's no option to delete it seems to back up that assumption.

Also, I built this PC myself so there shouldn't be any weird partitions other than what Windows added on install, though it was an upgrade from Windows 7 rather than a clean install.

U3obM7s.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, just hide the drive. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the EFI or MBR partition... its not

Odd to find oem partitions on a home built PC. Strange you also getting out of hdd space warnings for that while it ignores the 300mb recovery partition.
Given its got the normal 4 partitions created by Win 10 on install I guess we just ignore it. Its probably the MSR partition

Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

kerashi

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Wasn't able to do anything with it with disk management (it just displayed a "help" option that opened a link that wasn't at all helpful or relevant) so finally resorted to the command line diskpart and removed the drive letter (but not the partition).

Gamma032

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
Hi,

I suspect your drive may be a recovery partition from an OEM-issued key (Dell and HP make these partitions, but they are usually hidden).

Did you buy your Windows licence from an official source?

kerashi

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Upgrade from Windows 8.1, which was installed from the official Microsoft disc. Removing the drive letter works, but I still don't know why it suddenly appeared.

USAFRet

Titan

It's an after effect (mistake) of the April v1803 update.
Many, many people have seen this.