OEM SSD PM951 from Samsung, problems

Oct 7, 2018
Hello everyone. I bought a laptop from Lenovo a while ago, the Ideapad 700. It came with a 256GB m.2 ssd and it was not working properly since day one. I tried to replace drivers, update my BIOS, did a lot of fresh OS installs and still it didn't work for long until it started crashing for no reason.

So I gave up and removed the SSD and kept using only the HDD, but it is not as near as fast as the SSD. I'm now giving another shot on trying to fix the SSD. I installed everything from scratch and I love how amazingly fast everything runs on this thing, and I don't wanna go back to HDD. Unfortunately it randomly crashes the OS a thousand times through the day. I really want some help here, so if anyone knows what the problem might be and if there's a possible fix to it, I would love to hear. Thank you so much!

Oct 7, 2018

It's not under warranty :(
I bought it internationally and I couldn't ask for a replacement within the warranty time.

The ssd works great, when it works. It is reaaaally fast, and when it crashes all I have to do is restart the system, then it goes back to normal. It's common to have that kind of problem?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No, that is not common unless there is some sort of defect or mis-configuration. It could also be heat related, but I suspect Lenovo designed your laptop to take that into account.

Swapping the SSD is a way to isolate the issue.

Oct 7, 2018

I'm thinking of the possibility to buy a new ssd, hopefully the defect is not in the computer. What else can I try to solve the problem? Update some specific driver? Do something on the bios? I don't know...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Lenovo would have surely installed the proper drivers, so this is likely not a driver issue. The BIOS should also accommodate the SSD as it shipped with the laptop. You could check on the Lenovo site for a BIOS update.

This seems, most likely, to be a defective SSD or motherboard from the info you provided since this problem has always existed.

If you have access to a PC with a compatible M.2 slot, you could try the SSD in another system to see how it performs there.

Oct 7, 2018

Ok, I'll do that. About compatibility, it's a NVme ssd, or something like that. What's the difference, if there's any, from a regular ssd m.2?