OEM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hi, I was recently considering a gaming build, but was stumped by OEM windows. At this point the upgrade is not worth it if I need a new full license of windows.

My question is, is it possible to upgrade from Win 7 64 OEM Home premium to Win 7 retail Professional using the Microsoft student discount? http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

If not, does anyone know if I can get a free or severly discounted version legally through my soon to be college NC state (I enter this fall)?

Otherwise, what are my options?

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Can you explain a little more?

Will I have to format my HDDs? or does the upgrade version give me a new license key?

This will be my first purchase of a retail license and I am a little confused.

Will using the upgrade revoke the OEM status?

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
So, the OEM status will be revoked and I can use the upgrade license for multiple clean installs (sequentially) as I build new PCs?

Also, is a clean install mandatory? I have almost a TB of stuff to recover in that case.

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Question 2: Does microsoft office have a similar OEM system? I checked the key, but unlike the OS key, it does not say OEM.

Thanks for the help with the OS, but replacing both these systems might sink my plans...

Status
Not open for further replies.