OEM vs ES (engineering sample)

deadinthewater

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
Ok, so I'm trying to find my way through this new found problem I have. During a recent benchmark test I found that the AMD FX 8350 CPU that I bought two years ago, new, was in fact an Engineering Sample CPU. After research on the net, I am confused about what and if I have a legal standing to ask the retailer for a replacement. How has this issue been handled before? What are my options?

Solution
Don't contact the shop.

Contact AMD. I'm sure they'd love to know how someone came into possession of one of their engineer samples. Don't be surprised if they ask you to send it back.

Especially considering said shop my have Ryzen samples.

InvalidError

Titan

Simple: Engineering Samples are not for retail. They aren't supposed to ever leave the labs of whatever company they were sent to.

Basically, you are admitting owning stolen goods. That's your legal standing.

deadinthewater

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
Well, from what little I have been able to find on this subject is this: Engineering Sample belong to the manufacturing company. If this is the case he sold me stolen goods! Am I right? I don't know.

USAFRet

Titan

Basically, yes.
You are a recipient of stolen goods.

InvalidError

Titan

Engineering Samples belong to AMD. Usually, companies are required to either return them to AMD or destroy them once they are done with them. As I wrote earlier, it was most likely stolen from a company's lab or inventory.