OEM vs Retail XP

TR

I have just noticed that my new local build Desktop's version of XP is
a lot different than the GW OEM version of XP on my 450 Laptop.

The GW OEM version has a lot of stuff in the root directory that I
have grown to accept as normal in all versions of Windows such as all
your autoexec.xxx and config.xxx files not to mention a lot of other
stuff. However, the retail version on my new local build has noting
in the root what so ever. I look at drive C: on the Retail version
and all I see are the directories:

Program Files
Documents and Settings
Windows

Nothing else. I look at the GW OEM version and there are the same
three directories as in the retail version but also these directories:

CABS
RECYCLE
System Volume Information
plus all sorts of bats files, sys files, log files, reg files and a
bunch of others.

Now, both computers have the same identical programs on them. The
only difference in what is one the GW Laptop and what is one the Local
Build Desktop is that the Laptop has the OEM Version of XP and the
Desktop has a Retail Version of XP. Also, both versions, the GW OEM
and Retail version have the configuration set to show all files
(hidden or otherwise) and show all file extensions.

Both versions show in the System Information as being version 5.1.2600
Service Pack 1 Build 2600

They even have different themes to choose from along with different
audio sounds to choose from.

Is there that big a difference in the GW OEM version of XP and the
Retail Version of XP?

Regards,
TR

The difference is your folder settings. In the local build machine open My
Computer, select Tools/Folder Options from the menu to open the Folder
Options dialog. On the View tab, Select "Show hidden files and folders" and
uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" (you will be warned against
doing this, but ignore the warning - you can always change the setting back
later). Click OK to close the dialog.You will now see (many of) those same
files that you see on the Gateway.

"TR" <_@_> wrote in message
> I have just noticed that my new local build Desktop's version of XP is
> a lot different than the GW OEM version of XP on my 450 Laptop.
>
> The GW OEM version has a lot of stuff in the root directory that I
> have grown to accept as normal in all versions of Windows such as all
> your autoexec.xxx and config.xxx files not to mention a lot of other
> stuff. However, the retail version on my new local build has noting
> in the root what so ever. I look at drive C: on the Retail version
> and all I see are the directories:
>
> Program Files
> Documents and Settings
> Windows
>
> Nothing else. I look at the GW OEM version and there are the same
> three directories as in the retail version but also these directories:
>
> CABS
> RECYCLE
> System Volume Information
> plus all sorts of bats files, sys files, log files, reg files and a
> bunch of others.
>
> Now, both computers have the same identical programs on them. The
> only difference in what is one the GW Laptop and what is one the Local
> Build Desktop is that the Laptop has the OEM Version of XP and the
> Desktop has a Retail Version of XP. Also, both versions, the GW OEM
> and Retail version have the configuration set to show all files
> (hidden or otherwise) and show all file extensions.
>
> Both versions show in the System Information as being version 5.1.2600
> Service Pack 1 Build 2600
>
> They even have different themes to choose from along with different
> audio sounds to choose from.
>
> Is there that big a difference in the GW OEM version of XP and the
> Retail Version of XP?
>
> Regards,
> TR

TR

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Softy"
<mistersoftlab_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Select "Show hidden files and folders" and
>uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

Like I said in the original post,
>> Also, both versions, the GW OEM
>> and Retail version have the configuration set to show all files
>> (hidden or otherwise) and show all file extensions.

Regards,
TR

stuart

"TR" <_@_> wrote in message news:9up8809vdkt18n7v72fih8pis1esrbdoto@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Softy"
> <mistersoftlab_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Select "Show hidden files and folders" and
> >uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
>
> Like I said in the original post,
> >> Also, both versions, the GW OEM
> >> and Retail version have the configuration set to show all files
> >> (hidden or otherwise) and show all file extensions.
>
> Regards,
> TR

TR
You may well find many of the items you were looking for in the Retail version in the Windows folder.
Perhaps a search for one or two particular items would show you where they are.
The OEM has some latitude where they place items in their build.
Stuart

TR

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:19:09 GMT, "Stuart" <xyz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You may well find many of the items you were looking for in the Retail version in the Windows folder.

Yep, found that "Most" of the stuff that was in the root directory of
the OEM version was placed in the Windows and Windows\System folders
of the retail version. Strange......

Regards,
TR