[SOLVED] OEM Windows 10 on New Built PC

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I understand that if I purchase the OEM Windows 10, it's only allowed to be used for one Motherboard or whatever the case may be.

My concern is what can I do if for some reason my Motherboard dies a few months down the line, does that mean my OEM Windows 10 is in the garbage or do I have other options available?

Thanks

Solution
I'm in Canada, so I'm planning on buying it either from Canada Computers or Amazon
Basically, if it is a valid Win 10 license that YOU buy and install, there is no 'OEM'. You can link that to your MS account and transfer to new hardware.

OEM only comes into play with a preinstalled OS, like with a Dell or HP.

And be careful with Amazon. You want to avoid the resellers, and buy only from actual Amazon.

USAFRet

Titan
I understand that if I purchase the OEM Windows 10, it's only allowed to be used for one Motherboard or whatever the case may be.

My concern is what can I do if for some reason my Motherboard dies a few months down the line, does that mean my OEM Windows 10 is in the garbage or do I have other options available?

Thanks
Where are you buying this "OEM" license from?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm in Canada, so I'm planning on buying it either from Canada Computers or Amazon
Basically, if it is a valid Win 10 license that YOU buy and install, there is no 'OEM'. You can link that to your MS account and transfer to new hardware.

And be careful with Amazon. You want to avoid the resellers, and buy only from actual Amazon.

Solution

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

So my old PC that I bought parts and had the store build it for me I remember they gave me the Windows 7 CD case with the license key, would that be re-usable for my new build?

megamonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Win 10 licensing is significantly different than Win 7. Unknown as to what your original Win 7 was. If that was OEM, that is indeed tied to that motherboard.
Aww that sucks, I was hoping to save a $100 from buying Windows 10 if I could re-use my Windows 7

Thanks for answering my question tho, now I know atleast I can transfer my Windows 10 if my new rig craps out on me down the road.

USAFRet

Titan
Aww that sucks, I was hoping to save a $100 from buying Windows 10 if I could re-use my Windows 7

Thanks for answering my question tho, now I know atleast I can transfer my Windows 10 if my new rig craps out on me down the road.
In the context of a whole new PC, don't try to cheap out on the OS license.
Plus, Win 7 support stops in about 3 months...Jan 2020.

Reactions: megamonkey