[SOLVED] Of Cooler Master Q300L and cooling concerns

xross_fox

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
So i have a couple concerns with my build. My build goes like this

• Aorus B450 mATX
  • Rysen 3600 - Stock Cooler (The Wraith Stealth, if im not mistaken)
  • RX 5700 XT Saphire Pulse
  • EVGA 550w PSU (Forgot the exact model)
  • CM Q300L Chassis
  • Stock 120 mm fan on the back
  • Corsair AF140mm Fan x2 slapped on the front panel

So my main concerns are obviously regarding cooling. I've known that the Q300L it´s quite lackluster in the airflow department. So i've been trying to monitor my thermals mostly using Borderlands 3 (Cranking everything up at 1080p) as a Benchmark and discovered that my CPU usually sits at 80 to 90 (a little more close to 80 to 85 without the dust covers) Degrees Celsius with spikes all the way up to 97 for a solid 3 to 8 seconds. Also my GPU tends to fluctuate around 90 - 95 degrees Celsius. Toasty.

So here i am asking for some recommendations on improving the cooling. My array of questions would be:
1.- Does adding more fans would help?
2.- Should i swap the rear fan (and probably the Corsair ones at that too) for something better?
3.- Does swapping the Wraith Stealth could work (I was looking at the Noctua NH-L9X65 SE-AM4 )?
4.- Should i ditch the Q300L altogether (I´ve been reading some nice things about the Thermaltake Core V21)?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
1)Nope.
2)Connects with question 1: won't change a thing.
3)Yes, and no. I'm quoting the following from another member until it finally sinks in:
"Amd and Intel are competition. They've been arguing for far too many years as to which way is better. Intel settled on performance over temps, if the cpu says 4.4GHz turbo, that's what you get, but you better have a good cooler or temps skyrocket into the 90's. So naturally AMD does it backwards to that design and favor temps over performance. The 3700x Will boost to 4.4GHz, if you have the cooler for it, if you don't, when temps hit above 70ish, you get 4.3GHz. If temps would hit 80ish, it'll only boost to 4.2GHz etc. Intel doesn't care if you cook the cpu, AMD does.

So if you get temps of...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Nope.
3)Yes, and no. I'm quoting the following from another member until it finally sinks in:
"Amd and Intel are competition. They've been arguing for far too many years as to which way is better. Intel settled on performance over temps, if the cpu says 4.4GHz turbo, that's what you get, but you better have a good cooler or temps skyrocket into the 90's. So naturally AMD does it backwards to that design and favor temps over performance. The 3700x Will boost to 4.4GHz, if you have the cooler for it, if you don't, when temps hit above 70ish, you get 4.3GHz. If temps would hit 80ish, it'll only boost to 4.2GHz etc. Intel doesn't care if you cook the cpu, AMD does.

So if you get temps of 80ish with the Prism, you're likely about 4.1-4.2 GHz. The Noctua NH U12S is a superior cooler and when seeing temps of 80ish,your cpu is more likely at 4.3-4.4GHz instead.

It's a different way of looking at things. AMD will continue boosting upto maximum as long as temps are OK, Intel will downclock if temps are not ok (ok according to Intel, not you)"
No, temps won't be significantly better.

4)Yes.
Thermaltake Core V21 isn't bad at all: https://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/leo-waldock/thermaltake-core-v21-review-get-stacked/
I would suggest refraining from using the horizontal motherboard orientation if not using blower or liquid cooled gpus.

Reactions: xross_fox
Solution

xross_fox

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
1)Nope.

So if you get temps of 80ish with the Prism, you're likely about 4.1-4.2 GHz. The Noctua NH U12S is a superior cooler and when seeing temps of 80ish,your cpu is more likely at 4.3-4.4GHz instead.

It's a different way of looking at things. AMD will continue boosting upto maximum as long as temps are OK, Intel will downclock if temps are not ok (ok according to Intel, not you)"
No, temps won't be significantly better.

4)Yes.
Thermaltake Core V21 isn't bad at all: https://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/leo-waldock/thermaltake-core-v21-review-get-stacked/
I would suggest refraining from using the horizontal motherboard orientation if not using blower or liquid cooled gpus.

I guess this will be my aproach. I shall replace the case, and maybe later on replace the fans for some less noisy ones.