Office 2016 won't open new documents

Timpe

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
My Word and Excel won't open documents that haven't been previously opened on this PC. It just gives me an error and tells me to check permissions, memory, disk space or try repairing the file. The files are fine, I have ample disk space and memory and permissions are in order. I ran Malwarebytes and System File Checker. It was all green.

This follows some user profile trouble I had yesterday with Windows 10. I booted up my PC and all my desktop icons were missing, taskbar and start menu icons were blank. I got error messages about OneDrive and system32/config/desktop missing. After several restarts, I got everything back somehow and quickly switched my profile from the Microsoft account to a local one, it's not a new profile, it's the same user folder and name. Now everything is back to normal, except for Office 2016.

I tried repairing the Office installation, I uninstalled and reinstalled it, I downloaded a Microsoft tool that wiped user data. The problem persists. I'd like to avoid reinstalling Win10 if at all possible. Help would be much appreciated.

Timpe

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Thanks for the reply but the permissions were fine, like I said.

However, it turns out I have a different problem and the two are probably related. I can't turn on Windows Firewall. I made a fresh profile and that one can't run it either. In services.msc it is set to automatically start, along with BFE and RPC but it doesn't, and I can't manually start it either. When I try to reset it to default settings, I get an error that Windows Defender Firewall can't modify some settings. code 0x8007045b

Feb 17, 2019
Hello, I have encountered the same exact problem and I think I have the solution. Both third party Word and Excel docs can't be opened due to security settings.

If you right click on a file you have trouble opening and select Properties you should see a "Security:" paragraph at the bottom of the window saying something along the lines: "This file comes from a different PC and could be blocked.". There is a checkmark next to it which says "Unblock". Checking this box should resolve your issue but I have not yet figured out how to apply this in global.
Hope my comment helps.