Office 365 Versus G Suite: Which Cloud Service is Best for Business?

Oct 13, 2018
Solid article with good insight into the two platforms. I would add that if the company is a startup, with many young employees, there will be a preference, if not demand for, the GSuite solution. A good example of this is Facebook, where the 27,000 employees have demanded a switch to GSuite.

hannibal

Distinguished
If very many people work with same document or file, the Google has advantage. The O365 seems to have problems with multiple users, from time to time, because syncing is not fast enough.
But MS tools are de facto standard in office tools, so good choice if you need compatibility. Also MS teams is something that Google does not exactly have at this moment as well as OneNote.

Oct 13, 2018
One feature which Google Gmail continues to lack is the ability to collaborate on emails via Shared Mailboxes. Google only has groups which is a different experience to Gmail, and cannot be used in third party programs like Outlook or Thunderbird.

Office 365 has always supported Shared Mailboxes, and you can set them up as independent email accounts with passwords *for free* that minor users that only need to send and receive emails can be given. These users can also have their signatures for OWA set up by an admin and they cannot change them.

Unfortunately, it may be the case that this use case is not officially supported by Microsoft, but for now, it's a huge money saver for small businesses with only one or two primary users and a handful of minor staff and contractors.

Oct 13, 2018
Probably would be a good article to read if I could get that Assassin's Creed video ad to stop overlaying in top of the article itself

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I don't understand why you would want to use the services of a company who's whole business model is selling user data. I would be nervous to give them access to my spreadsheets and documentation.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I would love google to have an offline office suite (a real application, not just a webapp), the main reason is getting away of using the browser, dedicated apps are more efficient, faster, less power hungry.

These apps can be fully integrated with the online services. But with the main factor is the native application nature of the suite which brings better performance and integration with the OS.

Why would one of the largest, multi-billion dollar online services even need to rely on a third-party solution for hosting their business documents? I get the impression that they would be better off hosting everything on their own servers where they can have better control over it, using standalone office applications. At the very least, it seems questionable uploading all of your sensitive business documents to a service run by a data-harvesting company that is arguably something of a competitor to them.

Additionally, I doubt that their 27,000 employees "demanded" a switch to Google's cloud service. The vast majority of their employees probably don't care, and a large number probably preferred what they had been using. There were likely just a tiny vocal minority of their employees making any demands like that.

trevor_chdwck

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
This article is good, for the most part, but the word and excel points are lacking acknowledgement that Microsoft's word and excel both have multi-person collaboration just like Google docs, so those aren't really pros for Google anymore.

trevor_chdwck

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
The article is pretty good, but missing the details of office 365 being able to co-author / collaborate on word and excel documents in real time, same as Google docs. Please correct. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2018
o365 comes also the possibility to install the "full" desktop applications,
you want custom add-ins for your office: you got it, for desktop, mobile and web solutions.
and as cherry on top: it is possible to locally install the whole "o365" infrastructure, for those that do not want to host it at MS servers.

except being cheaper, gsuite has zero other advantages.

i still prefer office. probably always will. after i had to learn all about every app in the suite in college and how powerful Excel is, well, I'm convinced. Plus you can use VBA if you need/want to to generate business reports dynamically from data sources. With a subscription you can install it on 10 devices, and you get 1TB of OneDrive space! I get the 5 user license per yr, every user gets the same, 10 devices and 1TB per person. love it. With business subscription, everybody gets those options in the business including the 1TB OneDrive space. I am sure the Google package includes cloudspace as well on their system.

stdragon

Admirable
Exchange (local or cloud based Office 365 service) is *the* standard for e-mail, contact, and calendar integration. The only other product that came even remotely close for enterprise was Lotus Notes.

It's not that Google isn't capable of delivering a good product, but rather, it's that their ideas are flawed in how best to do enterprise communication.

Tagging e-mails instead of creating sub-folders, WTF? That's such as horrible idea! And IMAP sucks! Google's "exchange-like" add-on for Outlook is just as flaky as Zembra's

Trust me, stick with the true Exchange platform. It's not worth the butt-ache to try and shoehorn in another solution as a replacement.