Build Advice Office Build Help

chefswg

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I'm looking to build a PC for my wife that will mainly be used for internet, email, office applications, quick books, adobe pro, and other general none gaming applications.

I would like a desktop style case that the monitor could sit on and a quality motherboard. I will have wired networking so it doesn't need to have wifi. I'd like some help with motherboard/memory/cpu choices to get me started. I will be using at least one SSD and a larger capacity mechanical drive for storage. I don't need a separate graphics card but I'd like to have an onboard option that will be decent for possible photo's and such although this is of small importance.

My main concerns are quality and size and budget is somewhat flexable but I don't see any reason to go beyond $500ish. It is also important to be able to upgrade if needed in the future to a faster processor or add memory. I was thinking atleast 16gb of ram to start possibly even 32gb. Please help me if you can.

thanks,

Shaun

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like you want a Ryzen 2200G and a B450 motherboard.

Not much call for true desktop cases these days, but there are still a few cheap ones out there. You'll have to search Newegg, Amazon, etc direct. Not many get listed otherwise.

I know you wanted upgradeability, but have you considered an all in one desktop, or a laptop plus a docking station?

The problem you're going to run into with Ryzen and slim form factor cases is that the wraith spire stock cooler is 60mm. Most if not all slim cases i've looked at do not support heatsyncs that tall and having to purchase an additional low profile cooler defeats the purpose of price savings. Honestly this is one of the many few times I'd recommend you go dell/hp because they are good at making small computer cases that can not only fit under the monitor but vesa mount to the back of the panel. For example the intel nuc. There is a lot of power in such a little device and when you purchase from these companies, the whole entire unit is under warranty. Not each individual part therefore you'll get troubleshooting warranty assistance on the whole device as opposed to having to troubleshoot yourself as to what internal component is defective, then take it up with the individual vendor.

This is a pretty powerful combo that should do multitask and do office work well.

Desktop cases are hard to come by and they usually don't support ATX PSUs and are very expensive!
The case should be able to be mounted horizontally and it even comes with a 300w psu tho.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $134.05 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $64.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $64.89 @ OutletPC
Storage | Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $49.89 @ OutletPC
Storage | Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $45.99 @ Amazon
Case | Inwin - CE685.FH300TB3 MicroATX Slim Case w/300 W Power Supply | $88.98 @ SuperBiiz
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $448.69
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-24 13:20 EDT-0400 |

chefswg

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Thank you all for your help. Couple comments from the wife have added to the build. Firstly her desk has a PC tray inside that a tower style case would accommodate. She also wants to add dual monitor support to the build. I like the Ryzen 2200 or 2400 options and B450 motherboard.

I like my current Gigabyte motherboard and have found it to be very durable after over 10 years the thing still rocks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWVJSHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Looking at dual monitor support should I be looking into a graphics card or can the onboard graphics work for that?

Monitors are going to put additional cost to the build, honestly I'd like recommendations for that as well. The overall build cost is flexible but not unlimited.

Again thanks for the responses. I'm definitely not going to get a dell/hp and I'm coming from a Lenovo Yoga/docking station for the wife and its not working as flawlessly as I think a dedicated PC will. My old pc running 8gb of ddr2 core2quad and a ssd is just so much faster I think a basic current gen pc build will be miles ahead. She needs this for productivity for her business, while working from home and dealing with raising our 2 young kids.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $134.77 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $71.98 @ Newegg
Memory | Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $64.89 @ OutletPC
Storage | Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $59.89 @ OutletPC
Storage | Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $45.99 @ Amazon
Case | Inwin - CE685.FH300TB3 MicroATX Slim Case w/300 W Power Supply | $88.98 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor | Dell - SE2717H 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor | $159.99 @ Adorama
Monitor | Dell - SE2717H 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor | $159.99 @ Adorama
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $786.48
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-24 14:37 EDT-0400 |
I added a faster nvme ssd and monitors

Id reccomend a 2200g at minimum. The 2400g isnt really needed, but the smt is for multitasking and future proofing.

The 4 cores and vega 8 will be much better than the 200ge and vega 3 for photo editing and running dual monitors.

The extra ram will also really help for multitasking aswell since the igpu eats into system ram.