Question Office files created with office 2000

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Will excel and word files created with office 2000 work with the newest version of office?

If I understand this right, office 2016 or any version I suppose can be installed 3 times. Which means it can be installed on 3 different computers or installed 3 times on same machine. How can they limit you to 3 times or any limit? I mean if you buy it and you own it, you should be able to reinstall it on the same machine as many times as you want. I can understand the part about the number of machines it can be installed on.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Will excel and word files created with office 2000 work with the newest version of office?

If I understand this right, office 2016 or any version I suppose can be installed 3 times. Which means it can be installed on 3 different computers or installed 3 times on same machine. How can they limit you to 3 times or any limit? I mean if you buy it and you own it, you should be able to reinstall it on the same machine as many times as you want. I can understand the part about the number of machines it can be installed on.
Where did you read this "3 times" ?

Yes, old Office files can be read with a newer version of Office.

USAFRet

Titan
I read this in more than one place. Maybe I should rephrase what I said, the product key can be used 3 times.
I don't believe there is a stated "3 times and 3 times only".
Rather...If you install it twice a day, every other day...before long the activation server is going to notice and not activate it.
Why? Because that is far outside the normal use case.

I've also read "3 times" in many places, but never seen that in any documentation from Microsoft. That is folklore passed down through the ages.

But, yes, they can tell how many times you've installed and activated.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I don't believe there is a stated "3 times and 3 times only".
Rather...If you install it twice a day, every other day...before long the activation server is going to notice and not activate it.
Why? Because that is far outside the normal use case.

I've also read "3 times" in many places, but never seen that in any documentation from Microsoft. That is folklore passed down through the ages.

But, yes, they can tell how many times you've installed and activated.

Ok so is there any type of limit? I have a few different versions of office and went to install one version, don't recall which one and it said something about it being installed too many times and wouldn't let me. And I wasn't trying to install it multiple times in a short period.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so is there any type of limit? I have a few different versions of office and went to install one version, don't recall which one and it said something about it being installed too many times and wouldn't let me. And I wasn't trying to install it multiple times in a short period.
What version, and what error did it give when you tried?
And also, where did this license come from?

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Question about office 365 and the amount of users. Coming directly from microsoft site, 365 home is for up to 6 people across all devices. 365 personal is for 1 person across all devices. When it says 6 people, does that mean 6 different microsoft accounts? If you use personal, is it using the same microsoft account across all devices? IS there a limit on how many devices?

USAFRet

Titan
Question about office 365 and the amount of users. Coming directly from microsoft site, 365 home is for up to 6 people across all devices. 365 personal is for 1 person across all devices. When it says 6 people, does that mean 6 different microsoft accounts? If you use personal, is it using the same microsoft account across all devices? IS there a limit on how many devices?
O365 is per user and account, not per device.
Since you (your account) are not going to be using multiple devices at the same time...

Personal would be whatever single device you are logged into at this particular moment.

TRENDING THREADS