[SOLVED] Office files keep disappearing on the next boot.

khangnt2005

Reputable
Aug 2, 2018
I've just bought a Kingston 512GB MicroSD Card to expand my storage on my Surface Pro. I saved some Excel files on it and then on the next boot, all of the Excel files just disappeared left behind the blank folder. I tried removing and putting it back in while the Surface was still on and the same problem happened. After that, I formatted the card to NTFS and the issue was fixed. I just don't know what caused the issue and why converting to NTFS fixed it?

Solution
If it was Fat or exFat then that could have been the issue. exFAT is better than fat, but NTFS should really be used on anything over 32GB and if you plans on only using it on windows as it is more resilient to being pulled and unexpected power loss than FAT/exFAT
If it was Fat or exFat then that could have been the issue. exFAT is better than fat, but NTFS should really be used on anything over 32GB and if you plans on only using it on windows as it is more resilient to being pulled and unexpected power loss than FAT/exFAT

Reactions: khangnt2005
Solution

khangnt2005

Reputable
Aug 2, 2018
Thank you for the information, I didn't know that exFAT couldn't take storages more than 32GB as I used to think that exFAT is better than NTFS and FAT32.