Office/Gaming Sound Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauralynn

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Currently I have a Gaming PC, PS4 and a Sony 4K TV. Right now I have some Astro A50's and some simple Creative 2.1 Desktop speakers.

I have my Astro headset connected to my PC via AUX split with the speakers and the Digital connected to my PS4. This allows me to hear anything on both at the same time in case I'm multitasking.

What I'd like to do is also hook up to my TV as well and possibly share my speakers as well....

I'm somewhat familiar with receivers but I know they are expensive as mess.

What I want is to see if there is something that's on a smaller scale of a receiver that would allow me to connect all of my devices together. I'm definitely planning on upgrading my speakers in the future as well in the form of a sound bar or home theater system since this is my work and play office space.

I attempted to attach one of the headphone splitters to hook directly into my TV too but it badly degrades the quality on my PC in the form of horrible static and background noise.

Let me know what you guys think

Solution
avr receivers are meant to pull audio and video from once source at a time, not multiples. now yes things like pip and zone 2 audio exist but those are not what you are looking for. this means that they would work great if you want to run some good passive speakers in a larger perhaps 5.1 setup but are not so great if you want to listen to multiple sources at once, in 5.1.

if you absolutely require multiple simultaneous streams at once you may be better off with an analog audio mixer connected up to all your sources going to either powered speakers or an amplifier and unpowered speakers. since it seems you're on a tight budget this means limiting yourself to 2.0 and 2.1 sound as 5.0 amps will get very pricey and receivers (the go to...
avr receivers are meant to pull audio and video from once source at a time, not multiples. now yes things like pip and zone 2 audio exist but those are not what you are looking for. this means that they would work great if you want to run some good passive speakers in a larger perhaps 5.1 setup but are not so great if you want to listen to multiple sources at once, in 5.1.

if you absolutely require multiple simultaneous streams at once you may be better off with an analog audio mixer connected up to all your sources going to either powered speakers or an amplifier and unpowered speakers. since it seems you're on a tight budget this means limiting yourself to 2.0 and 2.1 sound as 5.0 amps will get very pricey and receivers (the go to source for cheaper home theater amps) do not accept analog input for 5.1.

if you can give up multi-sourcing at the same time.. a cheap receiver paired up with the energy 5.1 take or monoprice 10565 are some of the best budget choices for a 5.1 setup. you could go with a soundbar setup instead, if you prefer and generally they range from acceptable to decent (generally as price increases). a word of warning: cheap htib (home theater in a box) type solutions often are more hassle when using aux inputs. many cheap versions only accept 2.0/2.1 (if they do at all) and even some mid priced units that have optical or hdmi might only accept 2.0/2.1. not all accept 5.1 via hdmi or optical and just as receivers.. do not play nice with multiple sources at once.

as a workaround, you might be able to still use a receiver and multi-input if using the pc as the audio mixer with inputs going into the soundcard and playing back the sounds but even if you get everything working there might be a slight delay to audio by doing this. this makes me think 2.0 with a mixer would be better if you absolutely need that function.

sounds like maybe a ground loop issue when you used the splitter. you can try a ground loop isolator.

i'm sure aa and the others will throw a few thoughts into the mix as well in case i missed something or they had other ideas.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS