[SOLVED] Office Home & Student 2016 Suddenly Stopped Working

rex.and.kathy

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Windows 10. I think there was a windows update on November 8 and November 12. All of the sudden none of my Office Home and Student 2016 programs work. When I try to open Word, Excel, or Power Point only a blank white window opens. There is no toolbar at the top, no X in the upper right hand corner, no way to access the programs to change settings once opened. I have been trying to figure out what is happening all day now.

This is what I have tried so far:

Troubleshooting Office

Using the Repair Option

Restoring the Computer to a Previous Restore Point

Uninstalling Office Home and Student 2016 and Reinstalling it

Uninstalling Office Home and Student 2016 and Upgrading to Office Home and Student 2019

Nothing has made a difference. Not only can I not open up my previous files, but I can't open or use the programs at all.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
The computer should be able to handle Windows and Office and there is even some margin with respect to the build.

If at all possible consider another 4 GB of RAM. E.g., the computer may now have 2 x 2GB modules and you would upgrade to 2 x 4 GB.

That said, the current focus is on getting Office working again. And that is part of the bigger scheme of things which is, of course, Windows 10.

No way to really know what has gone on or happened with respect to Windows 10. There simply may be some file corruption getting in the way of things.

To fix or at least address the matter you can use sfc and dism.

References:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/dism-vs-sfc-first-windows-10...

rex.and.kathy

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
Where and when did you get Office Home and Student 2016?

Do you have a Microsoft account?

Check the Window 10 Update history to verify if there were any Windows 10 updates.
I've had Office Home and Student 2016 on my computer for a year. It was downloaded from the Microsoft website. I have a Microsoft account. When I tried everything I could think of, and still got a blank screen when I opened excel, word, power point and excel, I decided to upgrade to Office 2019, also downloading from the Microsoft website. I still have the same problem. The last Windows 10 update was on November 12. I think that something in the update messed my Office programs up.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Window 10 version information.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events relating to any version of Office.

What procedure or process did you follow when you reinstalled Office Home and Student 2016? Same question with respect to 2019.

No installation error messages, pop up windows, or other issues when the installation was launched?

Here is a Microsoft link that provides more information about reinstalling the software.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...on-a-new/6af93880-4c66-4241-ad11-436aa6e33518

The link also contains a couple of links that address other installation related issues.

Overall:

First, be certain that you deactivated any previous installations.

Second, verify that you did indeed download the correct version of Office 2019.

If both the above are correct then my thought is that the download or subsequent installation was corrupted.

In that case, about all you can is to try again.

rex.and.kathy

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Window 10 version information.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events relating to any version of Office.

What procedure or process did you follow when you reinstalled Office Home and Student 2016? Same question with respect to 2019.

No installation error messages, pop up windows, or other issues when the installation was launched?

Here is a Microsoft link that provides more information about reinstalling the software.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...on-a-new/6af93880-4c66-4241-ad11-436aa6e33518

The link also contains a couple of links that address other installation related issues.

Overall:

First, be certain that you deactivated any previous installations.

Second, verify that you did indeed download the correct version of Office 2019.

If both the above are correct then my thought is that the download or subsequent installation was corrupted.

In that case, about all you can is to try again.

Overnight I have lost my start menu. The problem with my Office apps seems to be related to the November 12 Windows 10 Update 1903. I spent a good part of the night reading documents about the new update and problems people were having. I have a old computer which surpasses the requirements for the upgrade to Windows 10, unfortunately I can't seem to access those specs now. The computer was working fine until this latest update. Apparently the new update messes with the Graphics Processing Unit of older graphics cards. I still have an ATI HD3870, which was working wonderfully until this latest update. So, my new questions are:

If I do a clean install of Windows 10 can I prevent the 1903 update from installing?
If I prevent the 1903 update from installing can I somehow install only the security updates that are included with this new build?
If I do a clean install of Windows 10, will my graphics card still be messed up or should that fix the problem.

Another problem that I am having is that I keep getting a message "Adding Snap-Ins to Console." What would these "Snap-Ins" be? Are they part of the new update or some other problem that I'm having?

Ralston18

Titan
Snap-in's: Microsoft Management Console perhaps....

If the source is not obvious use Task Manager to discover what is running and could be generating the messages.

A clean install would likely be only a temporary fix. Microsoft will eventually force updates and, unless some changes are made to the updates, the problems will return.

Your computer's specs may meet the requirements for Windows 10 but those computer specifications are often established under ideal circumstances. Not at all uncommon with any hardware or software products . Or any products for that matter.

It would be helpful if you can find the computer specs. The spec's will at least provide some insight as to how much of a margin is available (or not) with respect to Windows 10.

In the meantime with the overall situation seemingly deteriorating, I recommend that you do some additional backing up and ensure that those backups are recoverable and readable.

rex.and.kathy

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
Snap-in's: Microsoft Management Console perhaps....

If the source is not obvious use Task Manager to discover what is running and could be generating the messages.

A clean install would likely be only a temporary fix. Microsoft will eventually force updates and, unless some changes are made to the updates, the problems will return.

Your computer's specs may meet the requirements for Windows 10 but those computer specifications are often established under ideal circumstances. Not at all uncommon with any hardware or software products . Or any products for that matter.

It would be helpful if you can find the computer specs. The spec's will at least provide some insight as to how much of a margin is available (or not) with respect to Windows 10.

In the meantime with the overall situation seemingly deteriorating, I recommend that you do some additional backing up and ensure that those backups are recoverable and readable.
I found the specs for my computer in a file in my file cabinet. Yes I'm still old fashioned that way (much like my computer)! :) It was a custom build and all of the drivers are updated.

My Computer Specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5600 zzzz= 3.90 GHz
Installed Memory: 4 GB
System: 64 bit operating system
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 3800 series
Network Adapters: Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Local C Total Size: 297 GB Free: 196 GB File System: NTFS
DirectX:11 310.7 MB used 5081 MB available
Resolution 1920 x 1080

Minimum Windows 10 Hardware Requirements:
Processor: 1 GH or Faster or SoC
RAM: 2 GB for 64 bit
Hard Disk Space: 20 GB for 64 bit
Graphics Card: Direct X9 or later with WDDM 1.0 Driver
Display: 800 x 600

Ralston18

Titan
The computer should be able to handle Windows and Office and there is even some margin with respect to the build.

If at all possible consider another 4 GB of RAM. E.g., the computer may now have 2 x 2GB modules and you would upgrade to 2 x 4 GB.

That said, the current focus is on getting Office working again. And that is part of the bigger scheme of things which is, of course, Windows 10.

No way to really know what has gone on or happened with respect to Windows 10. There simply may be some file corruption getting in the way of things.

To fix or at least address the matter you can use sfc and dism.

References:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/dism-vs-sfc-first-windows-10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

There are similar links to be found. No harm in reading a few more if and as you feel necessary.

Do not download any other third party software claiming to do or fix such things. Some of those products will show up no matter what problem is be researched.

And the problem at hand remains to be identified beyond some generic issues.

Two objectives: 1) Get a working and stable version of Windows 10 up and running. 2) Get Office working and likewise stable.

SFC and DISM should be a good start.

Solution