Official Details on 28nm Radeon HD 7000 Coming Dec. 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Benchmarks or it's nothing but column inches filler[/citation]
Lower NM means lower power consumption wich means you dont need a huge power supply to run sli or crossfire. Even if its a small performance increase u will end up getting more from your buck than current cards.

pcxperp

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Correct, ADM/ATI stopped using global foundries due to low yields and power leakage in their manufacturing process[citation][nom]dreamer77dd[/nom]Where is this chip being manufactured? TSMC or GF? As I am sure they stopped using GF. Well hopefully this will be worth putting some money back into their company. Hopefully they put towards research and their debt. i agree ATI and Nvidia going back and forth is only helping us consumers. It almost is similar to the phone industry, every month seems to be a new gpu. Is this their first 28nm?[/citation]

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i am also excited because southern island (gcn) is amd's first original gpu architecture afaik.[/citation]

according to the wiki its not actually much of a change from the 6xxx series.

[citation][nom]lucky015[/nom]Wouldn't be expecting PCI-E 3.0 too much, The performance boost is extremely marginal and the current usage is nowhere near the performance ceiling of PCI-E 2.0 with the exception of some fairly rare peaks in usage.[/citation]

If the specs on the memory that have been rumored are correct, it may be able to use PCIe 2.0 pretty well. Its supposed to have 256GB/s of memory bandwidth so I gess we shall see.

Still even if it doesn't use PCIe 3.0 if the other specs are true it would be nice. The thing is though the HD78X0 and lower are supposed to be shrinks of the current HD69X0 while still using GDDR5 and lower while the HD79X0 is supposed to be based on the new arch and use the XDR 2 VRAM instead of GDDR5. Man 4 more days till specs.

still!!
may be not performance-wise. but i hope the new 28 nm process brings even more power efficiency in the game (no pun intended).
i'd love to see the 7850 replace the 6850 as the most powerful card needing only one pcie connector (6850's nvdia counterpart gtx 460 needs 2 of those).
i'd also love to see how the 7670 performs as the most powerful card not requiring any extra pcie connector.
this ofc is not taking into account what nvidia will bring out, though.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
These new 79xx from AMD are suppose to accept FMA instructions from what I hear. GPUs are becoming CPUs, and CPUs are becoming GPUS. And AMD's doing really well in the GPU game compared to Intel.

Can't wait when Dx11/Open CL, Cuda and Intel upcoming Knights Corner will be competing against each other in the supercomputer/server environment. We're just seeing now that they are adding GPUs (General Processing Units in this case) to supercomputers. Hopefully that stuff will trickle down to the Consumer Market.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
For quiet / HTPC-based gaming, these cards just keep getting better and better. When we can get a discrete GPU that doesn't require a 6-pin connector, but has more processing power and performance than the flagships of just a few years ago, that's pretty impressive. I hope and expect the 28 nm die-shrink will allow for exactly this. So the 76x0 will use the same power as the 65x0, the 77x0 will use the same as the 66x0 and so on. Less power, less heat, less noise, better graphics.

G

Would there be any point in hoping for a version I can slip into my Asus G73?

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]according to the wiki its not actually much of a change from the 6xxx series.[/citation]

Which wasn't really a change from the 5K series.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]still!!may be not performance-wise. but i hope the new 28 nm process brings even more power efficiency in the game (no pun intended).i'd love to see the 7850 replace the 6850 as the most powerful card needing only one pcie connector (6850's nvdia counterpart gtx 460 needs 2 of those).i'd also love to see how the 7670 performs as the most powerful card not requiring any extra pcie connector.this ofc is not taking into account what nvidia will bring out, though.[/citation]
Oh no im not saying its not gonna rock... just saying its not an all new design. Its a die shrink and a slight upgrade to the current version. But with the die shrink and the faster mem it should kick ass.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I am not so confident in the stability of 28nm chips yet! There's a reason both Intel, and AMD delayed their CPU batches to this size!

I first want to see users use this chip for a couple of months, benchmarking it, see if it gives in to the stress . If it passes one full year of benchmarking, I might become interested.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamer77dd[/nom]Where is this chip being manufactured? TSMC or GF? As I am sure they stopped using GF... Is this their first 28nm?[/citation]
TSMC, AMD has never used GF for their GPU manufacturing.

Yes, This will be their first 28nm GPU's.

I've noticed the news articles on Tom's concerning the HD7000 series repeatedly state that the entire lineup will incorporate GCN, or at least make no attempt to inform the reader that this will not be the case. Last I heard the HD7900 series will be the only cards that incorporate GCN. The HD7800 series and below will use VLIW4, and are basically the HD6900 series manufactured at 28nm. I believe these will be the first to launch, and will more than likely be the cards announced by AMD next week. If you're waiting for AMD's high end HD7900 series and GCN, you'll have to wait until Q1 2012.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]TSMC, AMD has never used GF for their GPU manufacturing.Yes, This will be their first 28nm GPU's.I've noticed the news articles on Tom's concerning the HD7000 series have repeatedly stated that the entire lineup will incorporated GCN, or at least make no attempt to inform the reader that this will not be the case. Last I heard the HD7900 series will be the only cards that incorporate GCN. The HD7800 series and below will use VLIW4, and are basically the HD6900 series manufactured at 28nm. I believe these will be the first to launch, and will more than likely be the cards announced by AMD next week. If you're waiting for AMD's high end HD7900 series and GCN, you'll have to wait until Q1 2012.[/citation]

Most likely correct. Too bad though, been itching to replace my 5850.

Very interested in seeing the XDR2 DRAM memory in action. Hopefully Rambus isn't blowing just smoke with their claims.

quangluu96

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Wow their gpu doesn't look bad compare to my favorite Nvidia, hoping this would be my first AMD graphic card, and what happen to the cpu? i was thinking of buying i7 2600k for christmas, and AMD withdrew from cpu battle? now the price is gonna stay the same for the next 2 years.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Great to hear OFFICIAL news is coming out. Hopefully it will also trigger price drops on the HD6xxx for those of use looking for a second card to crossfire.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I hope that they straighten out the numbering. I mean like the 6850 was more less equal to the 5830. Man I hope that the 7850 will make a great replacement for my 5850. Can't wait till Monday!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.