Official Details on 28nm Radeon HD 7000 Coming Dec. 5

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]Most likely correct. Too bad though, been itching to replace my 5850.Very interested in seeing the XDR2 DRAM memory in action. Hopefully Rambus isn't blowing just smoke with their claims.[/citation]
Years ago Intel partnered with Rambus... And abandoned in favour of SDRAM.

does llano count? ;)
@shin0bi272, like dragonsqrrl said the 79xx cards are rumored to use gcn - a new arch, while the lower cards will use vliw4. kinda like how 69xx cards use cayman.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Hello AMD,Can the graphics team cross train with the processor team?They making a terrific job in the graphics design, the processor team might learn something from them.[/citation]

honestly, amd didn't fail on bulldozer, assuming it was 5 years ago, they banked on processes being threaded by now, but sadly some crap software that everyone still uses is single thread. when you look at this in a multi thread environment, it preforms up to and above its price point.

if windows 8 really does handle threads (not cores) in a new way that also effect single core, you could very well see bulldozer be a recommended for future builds.

[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]I am not so confident in the stability of 28nm chips yet! There's a reason both Intel, and AMD delayed their CPU batches to this size!I first want to see users use this chip for a couple of months, benchmarking it, see if it gives in to the stress . If it passes one full year of benchmarking, I might become interested.[/citation]

cost to manufacturer, yeilds were poor, so on and so forth. with intel, they have a new graphics solution and trigate, an not mature process, amd... well... their fab partner for cpu sucks, and they are moving to a different one.

you have to remember, amd has no qualms with locking cores on a bad chip to make it work right, so plan on seeing more low end cards first, than the high end, they will be rare for a bit.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]so plan on seeing more low end cards first, than the high end, they will be rare for a bit.[/citation]
I'm expecting that launching of 7XXX will be same as of 6XXX. First will go 78XX, 77XX and 75XX and will share same architecture as 69XX but in 28nm process, while couple months later 79XX with Rambus XDR2 will be launched. Probably beside having GDDR5 78XX and lower spec chips will also support PCIE 2.1 and not 3.0

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Last I heard the HD7900 series will be the only cards that incorporate GCN. The HD7800 series and below will use VLIW4, and are basically the HD6900 series manufactured at 28nm.[/citation]
This is also what personally infuriates me about a lot of the advances. For me, the most keenly-hoped-for feature in GCN is the rumored improvement to double-precision floating-point capability; VLIW4 technically only improved marginally over VLIW5, still leaving us with a 4:1 ratio, rather than the 2:1 ratio seen, for instance, with AVX, (in Bulldozer, at least; Sandy Bridge's implementation is a whole different bucket of fish) and the ideal degree. I groaned significantly when I learned that VLIW4 failed to hit the 2:1 ratio as each cluster of 4 SPs only contained a total of one set of units for a dual-precision FMA, leaving half the SPs idle whenever performing that.

Of course, I recognize that for low-end mainstream parts, dual-precision FP is entirely wasted and pointless. However, I think that it'd have a purpose outside of the pricier 7900-range series; the 7800s would likely be more popular, given their better price-performance ratio. The 7700s would be a tossup. Of course, this isn't that huge a market, as it'd likely go to a handful of amateur enthusiasts. But then again, these are likely scattered throughout the same segment that does still buy the 800s, and not just the 900s.

G

I thought CES wasn't until January, maybe the article had a typo

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]quangluu96[/nom]XDR RAM WOOHOO, it's used in PS3, goes up tp 3.2ghz or something, so XDR2 is twice o..o[/citation]
"Hey Bob, let's throw in DDR3 memory. Why? Lower cost!"

Status
Not open for further replies.