[SOLVED] Offline Hard Drive keeps waking up constantly by itself ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okkx

Honorable
Oct 17, 2014
Hello,

I'm having an issue with one of my hard drives.

It is a seagate 3TB HDD, used for storage for data not used frequently (I access it about 1h per day maximum) so I don't need it to spin constantly.

First, I tried to put 3 min delay for the HDD to be put to sleep in windows 10 power settings. This works but at random times, that drive spins back up for no reason even when no doing anything on the computer. (indexing, scheduled defrag is deactivated on it and there are only .pdf files on it, no software, nothing that could be used by windows for no reason).

Next step : I tried putting it offline with disk part windows utility. That drive then disappears from the explorer and should be totally out of reach of the OS. YET, it still wakes up by itself randomly every 20min or so. What is going on ?!

What can be waking it up ?

Can windows still trigger it even when it is OFFLINE ?
Is there an issue with the HDD's built in firmware ?

Thank you for your help

Reactions: marcolopespt

Ralston18

Titan
Connectivity? Network, USB?

Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system configuration and performance.

You may discover some background app being launched at startup and subsequently waking up the drive.

Could even be something in Task Scheduler.

Okkx

Honorable
Oct 17, 2014
Connectivity? Network, USB?

Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system configuration and performance.

You may discover some background app being launched at startup and subsequently waking up the drive.

Could even be something in Task Scheduler.

Connected to motherboard by SATA, no activity in ressource monitor because it is OFFLINE after disk part offline command...

I'm running out of clue

Status
Not open for further replies.