offset/adaptive multiplier issues

junked

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I recently got a 6700k and have been working today on OCing it.

my build -

MSI krait 3x
vengeance 3000mz
evga 750 gold
gtx 1070
ssd, hard drive, ect...

The situation i'm running into right now is that i'm having fluctuations in the multiplier when running occt or intel burn test. when running prime 95 or realbench this doesn't happen. This only occurs however if i have it set up as adaptive in voltage settings. if i set it to offset or "auto" then i with the exact same voltage this issue doesn't occur. At the same time though if i try to set it as an offset the voltage will not decrease during idle and essentially might as well be set to manual.

i can't understand why this is occurring. i have also tried adaptive + offset and offset + manual but the results are the same, the voltage will not drop during idle and simply remains as if i had it in just manual.

my current settings are cpu x46 - adaptive - turbo/c-states enabled
voltage 1.26 (loads at 1.272) Again this is stable as far as i can tell so far, with package temps in prime at around 70c and closer to 80c in extreme on burn test. (results from hwm monitor) using anything other than adaptive. it doesn't crash in adaptive just lowers the mult to 44

i could obviously just keep it at 1.26(1.272) all the time get it rock solid, but i'd rather not. just trying to figure out why offset creates a static voltage and adaptive.is dropping my mult.

any ideas?

Solution
I have a similar problem with my MSI board. It will go between 4.9-4.6GHZ in prime95 blend but in Cinebench it stays at 4.9. I just kept it that way because i didn't see a score difference in 3dmark. I'd run Cenebench/3dmark and see if it's effecting your score between adaptive and manual.

jtk2515

Distinguished
I have a similar problem with my MSI board. It will go between 4.9-4.6GHZ in prime95 blend but in Cinebench it stays at 4.9. I just kept it that way because i didn't see a score difference in 3dmark. I'd run Cenebench/3dmark and see if it's effecting your score between adaptive and manual.

Solution

junked

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

strange, maybe something about the boards then. Like you said though after testing i do end up getting the same results in benchmarking like cinebench since its staying at the correct mult regardless of settings. So far it seems to only occur in stress tests so i'll just keep an eye on it during heavy load applications and make sure it isn't throttling.

thanks for the response.