[SOLVED] Oil in Acer Switch 10 2in1 Tablet - disassembly

Tonsai

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
I got oil inside my Acer Switch 10 2in1 tablet, and I can see it in my lcd when I power it on.
I have opened it, taken out battery and cleaned, but I still see the oil inside when the screen is on. I dont see how I can get to the LCD from inside. Anybody know if it is glued and it is a heat gun job, in which case I might need to live with the oil inside it??? Advice much appreciated, there are no tuts on how to get to Switch 10 lcd, i have searched (found this one where it shows as far as I can get but not the whole way
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLIIquDG4BE
)

Solution
The LCD assembly is attached with a few screws and two clips, there should be an adhesive strip around it so you will need light heat "Hair Dryer or heat gun on low settings" then some playing cards to pry it loose. The adhesive strip is relatively small "3mm" and there is an air gap between the outer glass and LCD itself.

Outerscreen.jpg

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The LCD assembly is attached with a few screws and two clips, there should be an adhesive strip around it so you will need light heat "Hair Dryer or heat gun on low settings" then some playing cards to pry it loose. The adhesive strip is relatively small "3mm" and there is an air gap between the outer glass and LCD itself.

Outerscreen.jpg

Reactions: Tonsai
Solution

Tonsai

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016

I ofc need to still find the screws as it seems mine looks a little different - however I havent stripped it completely and the vids I have looked at dont show complete disassembly either.
Im considering though these options:
would it be ok to use it even though there is oil inside or will it still result in damage? Meaning it's not water and computer seems to be ok. There is an SSD there though, in that part of the tablet (it also has the keyboard part which seems to have survived the oil attack)
It might take a while until I get a friend over who got a heat gun or something of the sort lol..

Tonsai

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
A hair dryer will work too. Oil is non conductive so it's not going to fry anything but if left on for to long it could discolor the plactic it touches.
Sorry for being not particularly smart about this, but what is the worst possible damage leaving the oil could do? In terms of discoloring the plastic. As well, could it destroy the SSD or do something else bad? I will get the hair dryer/heat gun in a while but I am also reasonably worried I might break something while performing the operation hehe

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Sorry for being not particularly smart about this, but what is the worst possible damage leaving the oil could do? In terms of discoloring the plastic. As well, could it destroy the SSD or do something else bad? I will get the hair dryer/heat gun in a while but I am also reasonably worried I might break something while performing the operation hehe

The discoloring will happen on the outer layer of the LCD itself, it will become dull and harder to see in direct sunlight but not all that noticeable indoors when your viewing with the backlight illumination. How long will it take to discolor? That depends on the oil in question as many types of oil have a detergent that will speed up the process.