• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Oil on eBay card GTX 1080 TI

Jul 10, 2020
I bought this Graphics card on eBay and didn't notice all this oil in the pictures until now. Seller says it's no issue, that it's normal. I'm worried it might be a cooling pipes and not just the thermal pads. Thoughts? Any advice would help.

Darkbreeze

Titan
It's not thermal pads. It's either a cooling leak OR leaking caps. Really nothing else it could be. It's not normal, or else we'd see a flood of similar questions, and we don't. Besides which, common sense dictates that "leaks" of any kind on your graphics card are not normal. Seller is a blatant liar.

Reactions: grebgonebad

Phaaze88

Illustrious
Ambassador
:eek:
I was about to say that it's just thermal oil that oozed out from the thermal pads over time - the worst it does is leave stains, but it can be removed with some alcohol and elbow grease.
I haven't seen the backs of too many gpus, but geez! This does not look normal!

Jul 10, 2020
What I want, are close ups of the three areas that have liquid on them. That pic is from far away. I need one at about half that distance, of each of those three spots on the back of the card where it looks wet.
We're the ones in my reply not good? It's in the "pics " link.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS