Oily compound secreted from keyboard

ron2456

Distinguished
The bottom of the keyboard secretes some sort of oily watery compound. Upon opening up the casing it looks like some kind of condensation/fumes from the pcb as the inside is full of it. What is this? Is the plastic secreting harmful chemicals?

Solution
That much i can say that this oily compound isn't normal for KBs. If you'd open up car's engine and find oil in there then that would be normal.

Either contact the seller/manufacturer and let them know your issue for hopes of replacing it or buy a new and trusted brand KB, e.g Logitech or Corsair.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If the KB would have been made in EU or for EU market, it must follow very strict regulations and only way that oily compound could've gotten into it is from outside source. But since KB is Indian made for Indian market, then who knows what kind of materials are used in it's manufacturing. E.g Indian made PC cases (cabinets) are low quality and i wouldn't touch Indian made PSUs even with 2 meter pole.

At this point, i can't tell if the oily compound originated from outside source (e.g sweat mixed with dead skin cells + heat) or within KB itself (e.g chemicals inside plastic/PCB reacted with heat or plastic itself melted). Heat comes into play since India is one hot place where to live and ambient temps are high, especially during summer.

ron2456

Distinguished

Looks like its either from pcb since pcb also looks wet in some places

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
That much i can say that this oily compound isn't normal for KBs. If you'd open up car's engine and find oil in there then that would be normal.

Either contact the seller/manufacturer and let them know your issue for hopes of replacing it or buy a new and trusted brand KB, e.g Logitech or Corsair.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS