Question Ok I'm pretty sure my GPU is dying, I have video proof, can someone tell me what is happening here?

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
I was having weird pixelated reflections in Battlefront 2 (and I couldn't find a solution to it) so I DDU'd the drivers and installed an older, known good driver. After the issue persisted, I switched battlefront 2 to DirectX 12 and the issue stopped, but now sometimes when I alt-tab out of the window I get proper artifacts on the screen. They're usually pink/white wavy stripes or green lines. A couple times I also saw these artifacts on the models of characters in-game (when I was alt-tabbing back into the game) but I didn't manage to get that on video. As you can see in the video, towards the end it magically stopped happening, but before the recording I was able to reproduce it pretty consistently. Before this issue, I've had all kinds of graphical issues, mainly with reflections and shadows. Here is the video link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTaD1g0C2w

There is absolutely no way this is a driver issue considering it happened the day I DDU'd the drivers so then it has to be a hardware issue right?
The reason I recorded it with my phone is because OBS wouldn't show the screen properly when I alt-tabbed so it didn't show the artifacts.
Another issue I had this same day is that while playing Minecraft, randomly the whole screen went black except for the HUD which remained visible (this happened before I DDU'd the drivers, so it was on the latest driver). This problem however was fixed after I joined a new game (I was playing on a server).

EDIT: Another symptom is that after alt-tabbing multiple times, my in-game FPS drops by alot.
EDIT2: In the video you can only see green/orange lines but when I was testing earlier the colors were different each time, sometimes pink/white, sometimes yellow/green etc. and they would come in different shapes and sizes too.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I wouldn't expect perfect behavior when alt-tabbing. That might just be the game engine and Windows throwing a fit. If using DX12, try Vulcan, see if that does anything differently.

Things like this can be caused by GPU memory issues. Try underclocking the memory a bit and see if it improves.

Another thing to try, and believe me this is more common then you think, re-insert the GPU. Repeated heatcycles, a slightly off 90 degree installation and the GPU can work itself loose over time. If you have a lot of GPU sag, try to compensate. (One method is to loosen the motherboard and rotate it slightly against the screws in the opposite direction of the sag) Another good one is to jam a screw into the rear I/O plate of the GPU and the chassis.

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Well, I wouldn't expect perfect behavior when alt-tabbing. That might just be the game engine and Windows throwing a fit. If using DX12, try Vulcan, see if that does anything differently.

Things like this can be caused by GPU memory issues. Try underclocking the memory a bit and see if it improves.

Another thing to try, and believe me this is more common then you think, re-insert the GPU. Repeated heatcycles, a slightly off 90 degree installation and the GPU can work itself loose over time. If you have a lot of GPU sag, try to compensate. (One method is to loosen the motherboard and rotate it slightly against the screws in the opposite direction of the sag) Another good one is to jam a screw into the rear I/O plate of the GPU and the chassis.
I tried to see if it happens again today and it just magically stopped happening, I have no idea why but yesterday it happened 50% of the time I alt-tabbed and now it doesn't happen at all. Could it have happened because of furmark damaging the VRAM or something like that? Or is the card fine

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not likely to damage memory from Furmark. Though it is a rather extreme test, not something I would use for anything but thermal throttling testing. Game benchmarks or more straightforward benches like Firestrike are more suitable to general PC usage can be used to compare your card to others.

Can't ever really know if a card is 100% working except through benchmarks and perfect operation, and given every system is a little different there will always be some margin of error.

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Not likely to damage memory from Furmark. Though it is a rather extreme test, not something I would use for anything but thermal throttling testing. Game benchmarks or more straightforward benches like Firestrike are more suitable to general PC usage can be used to compare your card to others.

Can't ever really know if a card is 100% working except through benchmarks and perfect operation, and given every system is a little different there will always be some margin of error.
I used furmark to see if my GPU has any hardware issues so I could rule out the possibility of that being the case (when I had some other graphical glitches in the past).