Discussion Ok let’s talk about this

Apr 28, 2022
How will the Xbox series x compete against gpus for the next 5 (?) years?

How much is it again? 12 tflops

Just a kindly reminder that the RTX 3090ti is approx 40tflops
The 4090 is gonna be probably twice, I don’t want to imagine the 4090ti
And can you even think about the 5090? Probably 100+ tflops
After this the new console generation is gonna come out AND I JUST CANT BELIEVE THEY WILL DROP A 100TFLOPS CONSOLE
so is gonna be probably a 40tflops Xbox competing against the frikin 6090ti is this a joke?

Last edited:
Comparing a system meant to be affordable to the masses against a halo card that's marketed to people who can wipe their butts with $100 bills isn't really a good comparison in my eye. Also the business model in which consoles are sold (sell the hardware at a loss, make up the difference in software sales and subscriptions) muddles the comparison even more.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Easy one. Because sales aren't specs.

There's always a GPU or a number of GPUs for a PC that's far stronger than anything in a console, from Atari 2600 to today. Yet, consoles never die out because price, user experience, software availability, ease of use, etc. are all important parts of the equation. Consoles have never relied on being more powerful than high-end consumer PCs.

How much is it again? 12 tflops

Just a kindly reminder that the RTX 3090ti is approx 40tflops
The 4090 is gonna be probably twice, I don’t want to imagine the 4090ti
And can you even think about the 5090? Probably 100+ tflops
After this the new console generation is gonna come out AND I JUST CANT BELIEVE THEY WILL DROP A 100TFLOPS CONSOLE
so is gonna be probably a 40tflops Xbox competing against the frikin 6090ti is this a joke?

PC vs console comparisons have been going on for decades. None are really valid since very few features and use are the same. One runs on set hardware with games that can be optimized for max performance and features but stop at the limit of the platform, the other is an open-ended tool that can be upgraded and can scale up or down and games for it are designed as such with settings that surpass that of consoles. At the cost of extra cost for the PC hardware, less stability at times, maintenance needed for drivers and OS updates and compatibility issues due to being an open platform with the games needed to be coded for dozens of hardware and software combinations.

It's like comparing the use of horses to elephants. Both have 4 legs and can carry a person, but the specific uses and costs are very different. The XBOX, or any console, does not really compete against video cards since people that buy either one and only that one are interested in the specific benefits of the platform for what they like. Got money and want flexibility in games, get a PC. Less money and like the console controllers and play style, get the console. Speeds of the hardware is almost irrelevant since the console is simply setup to run the games at a smooth framerate for the generation.

TRENDING THREADS