Ok so I found my Thief II cdr's now what with Win2k Pro?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

(1) Can I use Alcohol 120% create images of my Two cdrs and mount them?
Hope thats all there is.. ha !

(2) What's that install command line I need to make use of again?

(3) I want to get in to the fan missions. Whats the most stable
loader and where can I get one without a broken link?

(4) What are some of the better missions to try out with my machine
since I am in win2k pro with 512ram and ati aiw video card and
a SB live though win2kpro sees the audio card as a generic
(my words since it wont let me have to goodies like I have when
I run the card in win98 se).


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On 18 Mar 2005 06:12:19 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>(1) Can I use Alcohol 120% create images of my Two cdrs and mount them?
> Hope thats all there is.. ha !

At the very least, you can create image files with Alcohol. If you
can't mount them, use Daemon Tools

Why do you wanna do this anyway?

>(2) What's that install command line I need to make use of again?

Lgntforce. As in "d:\thief2\setup.exe -lgntforce"

>(3) I want to get in to the fan missions. Whats the most stable
> loader and where can I get one without a broken link?

Darkloader.
<http://www.google.com/search?q=darkloader&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8>

>(4) What are some of the better missions to try out with my machine
> since I am in win2k pro with 512ram and ati aiw video card and
> a SB live though win2kpro sees the audio card as a generic

So now we now that you have enough RAM. You don't say what CPU you
have and "ati aiw" says absolutely nothing about your gfx cards
processing power.

Anyway, unless your rig was new four, or more, years ago, it should be
able to run every FM there is.

> (my words since it wont let me have to goodies like I have when
> I run the card in win98 se).

control panel->system->hardware->device manager
--
_______________________________________________
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:09:17 +0100 Greger Hoel said :
>
>On 18 Mar 2005 06:12:19 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
>
>>(1) Can I use Alcohol 120% create images of my Two cdrs and mount them?
>> Hope thats all there is.. ha !
>
>At the very least, you can create image files with Alcohol. If you
>can't mount them, use Daemon Tools
>
>Why do you wanna do this anyway?

It's been awhile since I played T2 and I dont remember if it makes
calls out to one of the CDR's or not when missions are loaded.

>>(2) What's that install command line I need to make use of again?
>
>Lgntforce. As in "d:\thief2\setup.exe -lgntforce"
>
>>(3) I want to get in to the fan missions. Whats the most stable
>> loader and where can I get one without a broken link?
>
>Darkloader.
><http://www.google.com/search?q=darkloader&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8>
>
>>(4) What are some of the better missions to try out with my machine
>> since I am in win2k pro with 512ram and ati aiw video card and
>> a SB live though win2kpro sees the audio card as a generic
>
>So now we now that you have enough RAM. You don't say what CPU you
>have and "ati aiw" says absolutely nothing about your gfx cards
>processing power.


That's right. the CPU is P3/Intel 700mhz, Drive is 7200rpm
Current swap file is 512 to three times that much in case windows needs it.


>Anyway, unless your rig was new four, or more, years ago, it should be
>able to run every FM there is.
>
>> (my words since it wont let me have to goodies like I have when
>> I run the card in win98 se).
>
>control panel->system->hardware->device manager

I know about the dm. It's just that there is no spiffy goodies for win 2k pro
for the sb live value version of the card. No EAX in other words
in w2kpro.


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:40:29 +0100 Greger Hoel said :
>
>But still nothing on your gfx card. The only FMs I think you might get


ATI All In Wonder 4x agp 128


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 

nightwalker

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
126
0
18,680
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

You should find most of the information you need about where to get FMs and
how to use them in the TTLG FM forum FAQ here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202

It includes download links for patches, Darkloader, etc. as well as
instructions on how to use them. If you want the T2 No-CD crack, you can
download it from the Keep of Metal and Gold. It's in the "Essentials"
section here:
http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm

Nightwalker

--
Remove "leavemealone" from email address when replying.


"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:d1enk3027tb@drn.newsguy.com...
>
> (1) Can I use Alcohol 120% create images of my Two cdrs and mount them?
> Hope thats all there is.. ha !
>
> (2) What's that install command line I need to make use of again?
>
> (3) I want to get in to the fan missions. Whats the most stable
> loader and where can I get one without a broken link?
>
> (4) What are some of the better missions to try out with my machine
> since I am in win2k pro with 512ram and ati aiw video card and
> a SB live though win2kpro sees the audio card as a generic
> (my words since it wont let me have to goodies like I have when
> I run the card in win98 se).
>
>
> --
> "If confused why this or that is going on."
> "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:42:36 GMT Nightwalker said :
>
>You should find most of the information you need about where to get FMs and
>how to use them in the TTLG FM forum FAQ here:
>http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202
>
>It includes download links for patches, Darkloader, etc. as well as
>instructions on how to use them. If you want the T2 No-CD crack, you can
>download it from the Keep of Metal and Gold. It's in the "Essentials"
>section here:
>http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm
>
>Nightwalker

I have it installed. I did go with making the Alcohol 120 % images.
The only snag I came up against was when the setup program could not
copy the "cs05.avi" file. I have seen this before though.

The fix was to reinstall. Then when it requested CD2 I had it go
to the actually cdrom drive. It did seem to pause quite a bit on
the file/cdrom drive.

Later, after the installation worked. I went back and edited a
cfg file or two in the thief2 directory and changed the path for
the second cdrom path it was looking for.

It is now looking for that "safedisk" encoded image and boots
likety split.

The avi files are a bit grainy versus modern divx / xvid files
but it sure was fun seeing the load up screens for this version
of thief again.

Basso first mission. What a lark I had forgotten all about that
one.


So all in all I have made it a step closer to the fan missions.

....

As a side thread. I must have tossed my Thief 2 box. I only have
the cdroms it seems.

I also managed to find Thief Gold(and box) and I also have a seperate
thief 1 cdrom I bought for a friend. I hope he can play it on
XP. (this guy is all stressed out and needs a serious diversion from
reality...)

....

Oh T2 is working so far. I had to up the gamma though.


I was pleased to see some of the movement keys I tried are
the same as T:DS. I was one of the people that in the beginning
of using pc games wanted everything to run from the right side of
the keyboard and hated a mouse option. Not any more.... sure helps
navigation once I got used to using two hands. One for left keyboarding
and one for the right/mouse.

Geneve


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Geneve wrote:
>
> (2) What's that install command line I need to make use of again?
>

The parameter is -lgntforce (as others mentioned), but I don't think
it's necessary for Thief 2 (on Windows 2000 or later). I believe they
fixed up the O.S. detection -- Thief 1 and Thief Gold probably need the
parameter, Shock 2 might, but Thief 2 does not, IIRC.

-Kevin
--
My email address is valid, but changes periodically.
To contact me please use the address from a recent posting.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:11:33 GMT Kevin Goodsell said :
>
>Geneve wrote:
>>
>> (2) What's that install command line I need to make use of again?
>>
>
>The parameter is -lgntforce (as others mentioned), but I don't think
>it's necessary for Thief 2 (on Windows 2000 or later). I believe they
>fixed up the O.S. detection -- Thief 1 and Thief Gold probably need the
>parameter, Shock 2 might, but Thief 2 does not, IIRC.
>
>-Kevin

The install went well. The loading works ok now that I edited the
cfg files so that it knows to read the disk image from alcohol 120 %
virtual drives.


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On 18 Mar 2005 23:11:34 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:11:33 GMT Kevin Goodsell said :
>>
>>Geneve wrote:
>>>
>>> (2) What's that install command line I need to make use of again?
>>>
>>
>>The parameter is -lgntforce (as others mentioned), but I don't think
>>it's necessary for Thief 2 (on Windows 2000 or later). I believe they
>>fixed up the O.S. detection -- Thief 1 and Thief Gold probably need the
>>parameter, Shock 2 might, but Thief 2 does not, IIRC.
>>
>>-Kevin
>
>The install went well. The loading works ok now that I edited the
>cfg files so that it knows to read the disk image from alcohol 120 %
>virtual drives.

Okay, but why are you using virtual discs? You know that Komag has the
cracks necessary for you to run without any discs, right?
http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:55:45 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>
>>virtual drives.
>
>Okay, but why are you using virtual discs? You know that Komag has the
>cracks necessary for you to run without any discs, right?
>http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm
>

Won't I lose some audio for the game?

I did did a full install though.

?

Geneve


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:55:45 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>
>Okay, but why are you using virtual discs? You know that Komag has the
>cracks necessary for you to run without any discs, right?
>http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm
>

Woe that was some web page.

Is DVD1 up for downloads in any of the newsgroups ?


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On 19 Mar 2005 05:38:38 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:55:45 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>>
>>>virtual drives.
>>
>>Okay, but why are you using virtual discs? You know that Komag has the
>>cracks necessary for you to run without any discs, right?
>>http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm
>>
>
>Won't I lose some audio for the game?

No, there's no audio tracks on the discs.

>I did did a full install though.

Good, that's what you need. Then apply the crack and you're all set.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On 19 Mar 2005 05:52:54 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:55:45 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>>
>>Okay, but why are you using virtual discs? You know that Komag has the
>>cracks necessary for you to run without any discs, right?
>>http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm
>>
>
>Woe that was some web page.
>
>Is DVD1 up for downloads in any of the newsgroups ?

You mean his collection DVD? I haven't seen it. Maybe you can ask him if
there is a torrent of any of those available if Cheap Missions is too
problematic for you.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:27 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>
>
>>I did did a full install though.
>
>Good, that's what you need. Then apply the crack and you're all set.
>

The No-Cd for T2 and T:DS both seem to be working fine.

I have darkloader installed on the 700mhz machine.

Trying get thru a small mission called :

"The Clean Out"

But I am getting my tailed kicked.

Recent enemy is the ladders.....


The level writer sure was leaving out some arrows and what have you.

More are needed for list lurker I am afraid.

Oh ther supplied healing potion. when I needed to make use of it

nothing happened. The sound effects were there and the vial

went away yet the health meter did not update even a single

shield worth.


<<more arrows needed....>>

Else restore the black jack..... ugh...............


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:d1ferr01d85@drn.newsguy.com...
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:40:29 +0100 Greger Hoel said :
> >
> >But still nothing on your gfx card. The only FMs I think you might get
>
>
> ATI All In Wonder 4x agp 128
>
>
> --
> "If confused why this or that is going on."
> "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"


I think they might have given up on you. How many MB Vram does it have? 128,
or is that the bit structure?
I remember I had a Diamond Viper in '97 that was 128 bit with 4MB ram.
Anyway, AIW 4xAGP 128 probably means it's about 5 years old and probably as
old as your CPU. You should be about alright playing these missions although
I don't know about the requirements of CoSaS and Calendra's Legacy.
Certainly it would help if you had 32 MB Vram on your card and not 16, but
as far as I know they only made AIW with 32 Meg at that time anyway. To sum
it up: You should be ok.

Barnaby

--
Democracy has yet to be achieved.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:53:33 GMT Barnaby said :
>
>Certainly it would help if you had 32 MB Vram on your card and not 16, but
>as far as I know they only made AIW with 32 Meg at that time anyway. To sum
>it up: You should be ok.
>
>Barnaby

I think maybe this web site of ATI. Maybe I found the specific area.

Here goes.......

============start of copy============

ALL-IN-WONDER® 128
Specifications
RAGE™ 128 family graphics processor
Up to 32MB of memory
High-resolution 1920x1200 graphics
Flicker-free refresh rates up to 200Hz
VESA DDC 1/2b/2b+ monitor support

============end of paste============


I know for sure now that I see this.

The card in this macchine is the 32 meg version.


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On 19 Mar 2005 11:51:01 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>The card in this macchine is the 32 meg version.

Don't bother with the heavy FMs then

--
_______________________________________________
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:52:39 +0100 Greger Hoel said :
>
>On 19 Mar 2005 11:51:01 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
>
>>The card in this macchine is the 32 meg version.
>
>Don't bother with the heavy FMs then
>

How can I judge?

I have "The Ghost House" of 18.55megs and so far it is playable.


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On 19 Mar 2005 11:55:43 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:27 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>>
>>
>>>I did did a full install though.
>>
>>Good, that's what you need. Then apply the crack and you're all set.
>>
>
>The No-Cd for T2 and T:DS both seem to be working fine.
>
>I have darkloader installed on the 700mhz machine.
>
>Trying get thru a small mission called :
>
>"The Clean Out"
>
>But I am getting my tailed kicked.
>
>Recent enemy is the ladders.....
>
>
>The level writer sure was leaving out some arrows and what have you.
>
>More are needed for list lurker I am afraid.
>
>Oh ther supplied healing potion. when I needed to make use of it
>
>nothing happened. The sound effects were there and the vial
>
>went away yet the health meter did not update even a single
>
>shield worth.
>
>
><<more arrows needed....>>
>
>Else restore the black jack..... ugh...............

The black jack is found...

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s






in the bottom level through the weird color museum place in the workroom
next to the hammers and canvas.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On 19 Mar 2005 18:57:40 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:52:39 +0100 Greger Hoel said :
>>
>>On 19 Mar 2005 11:51:01 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The card in this macchine is the 32 meg version.
>>
>>Don't bother with the heavy FMs then
>>
>
>How can I judge?
>
>I have "The Ghost House" of 18.55megs and so far it is playable.

It's not the size of the download but the complexity of the architecture
of the mission that causes the problem. If you load a mission and notice
that it slows down to a crawl when you go into a certain area like a large
cathedral or an outdoor location with a lot of buildings, that's because
your card can't handle all the details. It may work but very slowly
that's all.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

This is a top reply to leave spoiler at the
bottom....

.....

I went in through the bell tower.

Found my way to the bottom.

Got out the two doors then into the hammer church thing/area.


WHat got me though. How is it when I picked off one hammer
at the far end of the room did they know to come across
the room to start wailing on me all the while in easy mode ?

Has it been that long since I was in a T2 environment?

Are they this quick to pounce without looking around more
till garret was closer?

Geneve

-------end of top post------------



On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:45:58 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>
>On 19 Mar 2005 11:55:43 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:27 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>>>
>>>
>>>>I did did a full install though.
>>>
>>>Good, that's what you need. Then apply the crack and you're all set.
>>>
>>
>>The No-Cd for T2 and T:DS both seem to be working fine.
>>
>>I have darkloader installed on the 700mhz machine.
>>
>>Trying get thru a small mission called :
>>
>>"The Clean Out"
>>
>>But I am getting my tailed kicked.
>>
>>Recent enemy is the ladders.....
>>
>>
>>The level writer sure was leaving out some arrows and what have you.
>>
>>More are needed for list lurker I am afraid.
>>
>>Oh ther supplied healing potion. when I needed to make use of it
>>
>>nothing happened. The sound effects were there and the vial
>>
>>went away yet the health meter did not update even a single
>>
>>shield worth.
>>
>>
>><<more arrows needed....>>
>>
>>Else restore the black jack..... ugh...............
>
>The black jack is found...
>
>s
>p
>o
>i
>l
>e
>r
>s
>
>
>
>
>
>
>in the bottom level through the weird color museum place in the workroom
>next to the hammers and canvas.
>


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:d1ior401oed@drn.newsguy.com...
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:52:39 +0100 Greger Hoel said :
> >
> >On 19 Mar 2005 11:51:01 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
> >
> >>The card in this macchine is the 32 meg version.
> >
> >Don't bother with the heavy FMs then
> >
>
> How can I judge?
>
> I have "The Ghost House" of 18.55megs and so far it is playable.
>
>
> --
> "If confused why this or that is going on."
> "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"


Why don't you just try them? The size is not really the issue but textures,
custom made objects etc.

The original game was designed for minimum spec. of "Video Accelerator with
4MB memory" and a "Pentium 233". I think you should be alright with your
machine.
I've played the above cited heavier fm's like CoSaS & 7th Crystal with a
Voodoo 3000 16MB and absolutely no problem whatsoever, admittedly on a 1.4
Ghz machine, but they're not THAT heavy, we're not talking about Thief 3
here.

Don't let people spoil your gaming who won't even try play anything unless
they got a 5 Gig machine and 2 Gigs ram.

Just remenber to turn off all the stuff you don't need when playing, like
software firewall, virusscanner, any real time and quicktime players in the
system tray and all that stuff that likes to put itself there which you
never need, and disconnect from the internet if you're on Cable / ADSL.


Barnaby


--
Democracy has yet to be achieved.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:02:01 GMT Barnaby said :
>
>Don't let people spoil your gaming who won't even try play anything unless
>they got a 5 Gig machine and 2 Gigs ram.

Yeah that can be a solid point. I was getting disapointed after
reading some here.

>Just remenber to turn off all the stuff you don't need when playing, like

I do tend to disconnect some stuff. IE instant messengers for sure.
Ftp(personal server) /winamp/ mail checkers etc.

>Barnaby

What was the name of that hughe mission that was a huge church
surrounded by a large mote or partially frozen river around the
place?

I was able to play it on a ATI AIW 16 meg card although it was
a bit slow going when I had it installed on a 600mhz I think
back then.

I never did solve that one but sure wish in many areas T2
offered "noclip" for a function. many of those gates
on the upper floors wre annoying....

For me it did not make the game interesting. It only
frustrated me to the point that I eventuall deleted
the beast.

I wish the author/level make sould have tested it on a
person like myself that was wanting to enjoy the graphics
more than harder puzzling solves for that one.

Geneve


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Ah ja, and a good defrag helps.

Barnaby


--
Democracy has yet to be achieved.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:07:21 GMT Barnaby said :
>
>Ah ja, and a good defrag helps.
>
>Barnaby
>
>

It was odd. On T:DS I have that game on a P4/3.4ghz/ATI AIW Radeon
and the machine has 1 gig of ram in win2kpro and after I did a
few defrags eventually I started losing sound effects.

Also it seems to do premature exits to desktop. Swap file is
set for 512-1024 for that one machine.


I should mention the machine has on board sound though. I can not
afford a creative labs audigy 2 card right now. I saw the value
version but not sure about if I want to use a pci slot to add
to a extra shared slot. (currently just a ati aiw radeon 9600 is
in there.


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"