[SOLVED] OK to install the latest AMD-issued Chipset drivers for ASUS X570 Motherboard?

danytancou

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
Hi all,

I recently put together an ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS-based system and am having some Windows Power Plans issues with it. ASUS released a new BIOS a few days ago, but there is no update for their Chipset drivers. I'm planning to update the BIOS (even though the release notes don't mention anything about power improvements), so I'm wondering: would there be anything wrong with downloading and installing the latest AMD-issued chipset driver (i.e. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-2-10-13-408)? I never considered installing chipset drivers that were not issued by ASUS in the past (I've been building systems strictly with ASUS ASUS m0b0s for the past 20 years) but this time I'm in a bit of a rush to get this system going properly...

Has anyone done this? (Aren't the drivers that ASUS puts out just a re-package of what AMD releases?) Any risks I should be aware of (or is this just a really bad idea)?

Thanks a lot,

Dany

Hi all,

I recently put together an ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS-based system and am having some Windows Power Plans issues with it. ASUS released a new BIOS a few days ago, but there is no update for their Chipset drivers. I'm planning to update the BIOS (even though the release notes don't mention anything about power improvements), so I'm wondering: would there be anything wrong with downloading and installing the latest AMD-issued chipset driver (i.e. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-2-10-13-408)? I never considered installing chipset drivers that were not issued by ASUS in the past (I've been building systems strictly with ASUS ASUS m0b0s for the past 20 years) but this time I'm in a bit of a rush to get this system going properly...

Has anyone done this? (Aren't the drivers that ASUS puts out just a re-package of what AMD releases?) Any risks I should be aware of (or is this just a really bad idea)?

Thanks a lot,

Dany
With Ryzen, AMD chipset drivers are best.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Hi all,

Thanks a lot,

Dany
I always get chipset drivers from the AMD support web site since they are the latest available.

What power plan issues are you having? The Ryzen Balanced plan works differently from Windows' and is best for Ryzen processors. Left unchanged it moves the decisions for CPU power management from slow Windows software to the processor, which is much faster at up to 100 times per second.

danytancou

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks @bmockeg & @Nemesia! Sorry for taking so long to write back. Yup, Windows is fully up-to-date. I did install the driver from AMD and all was fine after. (I also updated my BIOS to the latest version -- was using the previous one.) Unfortunately, none of this resolved my power issues -- see my next message for details about that.

danytancou

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
Thank you as well, @drea.drechsler!

I described the power issues I'm having in the following post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/power-plan-issues.3657153/. Essentially, even though I'm setting the power plan to Ryzen Balanced (and even when I set it to High Performance) and I tell it to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes and go to standby after 10 minutes (hibernation is off on my system, powercfg /hibernate off) those values randomly get reset to 1 hour and 2 hours, respectively.

Since then, I did some more digging, and, using the advice from https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/159853-power-options-keep-resetting-2.html#post1958004, found out that ASUS AI Suite III is responsible for the time changes. (Iow, I checked Even Viewer, and saw multiple entries from which it's clear that AI Suite III is resetting the active power plan.) AI Suite III has an "EPU" tab/component ("Performance and Settings Utilities") which contains what seem to be three power profiles -- I'm guessing here, since these don't appear in my Power Options Control Panel; each of these contain Monitor Off and Sleep settings (sliders to adjust the time) and for Performance they are set to 1hr/2hr, so my only (other) guess is that this is where values that the Ryzen Power Plan gets set to, are coming from.

All that said, assuming that my guesses are correct, the QUESTION is how do I get AI Suite III to stop "taking over"? I know I can uninstall it, but if I do, I'd be giving up control over my fans, and I would really rather not do that. With the previous version of AI Suite (AI Suite II) it was possible to install and uninstall individual components, but if this new version has that capability, I can't find it. :(

Any other thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again,

Dany

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS