Question Ok - Windows 10 Ransomware Protection is annoying

LeanMan82

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Windows 10 recent update regarding Ransomware protection is ridiculously over powered. I use various file syncing, back up strategies to protect my data that all seemed to stop doing theirjob after a week or so. Then I noticed I couldn't get my freaking printer to save its scanned file to my computer's folders. I used my laptop and the problem persisted. I tried to save a Notepad++ file into one of my folders and I would get an error saying permission denied. I have been running into soooooo many issues just trying to be a normal computer user with my machine and it dawned on me. Windows 10 had a recent ransomware protection update. That and its firewall. I turned off all of the security features that are supposed to protect me from malicious intent and suddenly I have regained control of my machine. I don't understand this strategy of theirs. Be so afraid of everything that don't do anything approach is ridiculous. I don't think this update makes any sense, it should have smarts to prevent malicious code but allow the user to continue their work with no change in their user experience - but with this type of protection, I might as well have all of their protection off just because its so annoying. Has anyone else experienced Windows 10 Ransomware protection hinder their productivity? Am I an outlier or is this the normal experience? If I am the outlier, then what do I need to change to make my experience less annoying?

USAFRet

Titan
Some info on your system would help here.
What exact Win 10 version?
Screencaps of this notification/protection, and exactly what the system was doing at the moment.

Because I've not seen anything like that. And I also use a somewhat aggressive backup strategy.

LeanMan82

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I have windows 10 Professional and version 1803. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for as this change also shows on my laptop so I would assume multiple systems have it.

Pick any application and then perform a file change in the file system, windows 10 should prevent it from doing anything and you may see windows say it prevented software from effecting change to your system in the notifications tray (usually on the right hand side). It will look like this image from this site.

(P.S. I want to keep it on, but its overkill. Is there a way without having to add every single app and folder to the controlled folder access? It just doesn't make sense for me to manage it manually).

USAFRet

Titan