DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Looking for a power supply for a new system.

Been reading so many contradicting review/opions my heads spinning out. Help me out guys.

AMD 64 bit 3500 venice (gona OC it)
DFI or Epox mobo
1gig of 3200 ll
74gig raptor
might wait for ATI if not then a 7800gtx
DVD-r
3X 120mm fans + cross flow fan
Stacker case.

Now im trying to go for a reasonably quiet set up (it'll have 3 120mm fans and a crossflow fan)

Choices so far (im in the UK)are.

Antec neo power - meant to be noisey
Antec True Power II 480W
485W Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE
Antec Phatom 500W - noiseyish with fan
460W Akasa Ultra quiet aPFC
OCZ PowerStream 520w - well pricey. better be damn quiet

Now they're all (apart from the phantom and OCZ) around the same prices.

What would you guys do.

Thx

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You should be ok with the Antec True PowerII 480. I think the OCZ psu only has 1 12v rail so even though it is higher wattage it may not be able to keep the voltage as steady as the truepowerII.
If you plan on doing SLI 7800gtx cards I'd hunt around for a psu that is well over 500watts. The truepower 480 might be able to do it but better safe than sorry.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Anyway you go with the mobo will be fine <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2465&p=28" target="_new">Clicky</A>

Check reviews to see the reliability of those PSUs you have in your list. That should take out some of the options, and make your choice easier.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Na no SLi for me.

I really cant see a difference, so imagine I've put a gun to your head and yelled pick mofo!!!!

Which one??? Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Tellme Etc.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
of those, I'd pick the Truepower.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If you mean the PSU I'd pick the truepower.
If you mean the mobo I'd pick the Epox, is cheaper and has more available slots.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
I've just found the fortron blue storm 500W for £55 which is way cheaper than the antec.

Unless anyone sez otherwise I'm going for that one.

Hmmmm uses a sleeve bearing fan..... are these still unreliable in the long run?? Its for a home pc so not on 24/7.

Thanks again for the replies so far.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That psu should be fine. fortron source is a pretty good psu brand and 500watts should be plenty, especially if you arn't going to be doing SLI.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
If the fan does fail, easy to replace it. Has a 3 year warranty anyway and is a good brand.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I would have suggested the fortron (I have it myself) but you asked which would we pick from your options.
Very good PSU

RichPLS

Champion
Same here about suggestion, but I have an Antec TruePower 430 watt...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>