[SOLVED] Okay I've got a doosie, Why is my W4100 stopping posts and creating system instability

sqwad

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong category, I really don't know if this is a more motherboard or GPU issue.

I've been having a strange compatibility issue with my Asrock 970m Pro3 and a Firepro W4100. Upon my first attempt to post I was met with a five short beep code. Asrock says this is a CPU issue so I reseated the CPU and tried again, no dice. I also reseated the ram too to no avail. I found online that the five beeps could also mean a vga error with the PCIe lanes. I tested a r7 240 in the same lane and got a post. So the lane isn't entirely broken.

After an install of windows I found out that the w4100 works on the x4 PCIe lane. Though if I have the W4100 as the primary video adapter I receive an error message "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly." After a while though the W4100 quit displaying video entirely. I have tried reflashing the vbios, changing bios version on the board but I can't get the card to work. I have been using the r7 as my vga adapter to work on the W4100. I can't tell if my board is fried, the card is fried, or both are fried.

Other things of note not in the main body:
  • System specs (If that matters) - FX-6300, 8gb DDR3 (x2), Asus Wifi PCIe x1 card, 300W TFX Powerman (INWIN house brand) PSU)
  • I have run this system with a stronger power supply with no change
  • I have removed all other PCIe cards with no change
  • I have reseated the RAM
  • I have reseated the CPU
  • The r7 240 runs at x4 configuration in the x16 lane despite being capable of x8 width
  • I have run the system under an antistatic bag to check for shorts with no change
  • I have inspected, re pasted, and reseated the W4100 with no change
  • The W4100 used to post in other systems but not anymore (causes instability if other systems do post)
  • This card is used and need to know if I have to send it back or if my board is toast

Thank you for any help you can provide. The AMD forums only gave me useless platitudes of update windows and check for Bios updates.

Solution
The W4100 sounds defective as described. With a 300w PSU, it is definitely not strong enough to power two GPUs in this system config.

sqwad

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
Maybe the board is defective try it in a different PC if you have one to trade in
I have put the card into two different systems with two different motherboards. Both systems posted with the card but refused to do so around the time the card stopped working in the x4 slot. So far the board doesn't seem to be the main defective part. Especially so since the r7 just fine in it.

sqwad

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
The W4100 sounds defective as described. With a 300w PSU, it is definitely not strong enough to power two GPUs in this system config.
I completely agree. That's why the system is running from a 450W PSU with both cards installed. I too lean towards the conclusion that a short circuit is the culprit, but why would Windows still be able to detect the card yet still not output video?

Also, would it be possible for a short-circuiting card to damage a PCIe lane thus explaining why the r7 is stuck in x4 bandwidth? At the very least the mobo might be tricked into thinking its running in crossfire without the W4100 causing the x4 bandwidth when the r7 is the only card?

D

Deleted member 14196

I have put the card into two different systems with two different motherboards. Both systems posted with the card but refused to do so around the time the card stopped working in the x4 slot. So far the board doesn't seem to be the main defective part. Especially so since the r7 just fine in it.
If it stopped posting in the other two motherboards than the cars IS defective

sqwad

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
Yes, it is possible to damage the PCIe slots as described. I would recommend you focus on getting the R7, alone, working properly before doing anything else

That means removing the W4100 from the system.
Ok I ran the system with an r9 380x from my main system and I don't think the slot is broken. This card is running at x8 bandwidth despite being able to use x16. This seems ot imply that the r7 could be used at max bandwidth the system just didn't want to do that. Could the motherboard or cards just be adaptively changing their used band width to what they require at the time? I've run GPU benchmarks to put the r7 and r9 to the test but couldn't get them to use all 16 lanes, but maybe I wasn't taxing them hard enough?

I'm just asking to make sure I'm not convincing myself of my own ((Edited by moderator))

Also, would you have any explanation why the w4100 would still be detected by windows yet still not function properly? That's really tripping me up right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

sqwad

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
Yes it was the only card installed

Edit: The 380x works at full bandwidth on my main system. Could I explain this away as a resource-saving measure on the mobo or a damaged part?