Okay my PC is detecting my HDD but I can't use it.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Okay, new issues.. yay! how delightful :/ anyways, now the isse is that I assembled my PC completely and my Storage Hard drive is not being detected by my PC. It is a seagate barracuda 2 TB HDD and I am using a ASUS ROG Crosshair V formula-Z motherboard. my primary boot drive is a samsung 840 120 GB SSD

Solution
Is the HDD still under warranty? You could RMA it. It is a weird problem. Was it a new HDD or did it come from an old computer?

As for the comp specs, go to your profile -> forum settings -> edit your details. Add it to your signature not computer setup, or add to both, but signature it what is displayed.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Anti painkilla, dude, I read that, but no, it didn't help T.T and i checked my UEFI bios, it said both my ssd and hdd were in AHCI mode... darn I am really very confused as to what the hell should I do.. Should i change the hdd to an IDE or something?
thanks guys in advance again..

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Cool, that helps us with narrowing the problem down. So you can see it in the BIOS.

Can you see it in disk management? Check the thread above if you are unfamiliar with disk management.

There should be disk 0 and disk 1.

Added: AHCI is fine for the drives to be set to in the BIOS.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

checked it, it shows it in disk management too, but alas, instead of a full 2000 GB it shows 3.1 or so GB and when i try to format that, it shows some bloody I/O error, I tried to connect it in my old PC, where the bios shows "Disk failure imminent, please backup data and consider getting disk replaced" -.-"

And one question more, how, just HOW do you get your PC spec data on your post thingy?? sorry random question, I am new to forum posting and stuff :p

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Is the HDD still under warranty? You could RMA it. It is a weird problem. Was it a new HDD or did it come from an old computer?

As for the comp specs, go to your profile -> forum settings -> edit your details. Add it to your signature not computer setup, or add to both, but signature it what is displayed.

Solution

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

I bought it on 23rd man, Just had a chat with the vendor who i bought it from, he'll send a person to take it and I will buy a new one, about for 2.5 grand more (INR) so yea.. it is probably defective or something like that man, kinda hard to survive being a gamer on just a 120 gig SSD

and thanks a ton man

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Not a problem. Hopefully the new one goes in smoothly.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
okay even worse, I got the new HDD and hey guess what?? this time it wasn't even being detected with my windows -.-" god this is such a major headache :/ and I am running on a measly 120 gigs.. god my poor ssd :/
help guys, tried to put it in both AHCI and IDE, no good :/

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Check the SATA connection from the motherboard to the HDD. When the computer turns on can you feel the HDD spin up?

Can you see the HDD in the BIOS? Or is it just windows that the drive does not appear?

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
the whole startup sequence:
-power up pc, HDD starts to spin for like 7 seconds
-HDD beeps in a weird 7 pulse fashion
-UEFI shows HDD but with only 4.1 GB of memory
-Windows starts, taking almost 45-50 seconds more than normal
-windows doesn't show presence of drive in both disk management and device manager. (previous HDD used to show, but had only 3.8 gigs and showed some I/O error)

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Can you upload a screenshot so I can see the problem? The 4.1 GB that is.

With the BIOS you can configure which drive to boot from, should be under boot / disk boot order. This should help with the windows starting time.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Sorry man, two reasons why I can't
1. I don't know how to thru the UEFI menu
2. I RMA'd it and am buying a WD Caviar Green 3 TB

Also the boot order was correct with my SSD as primary Drive boot and the HDD as the secondary, but still took ages to boot up

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

No, with just the SSD installed, I am playing DiRT3 literally 30 seconds after pressing the power button... with a 13 character password on login

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Most likely the faulty HDD causing the problems. Hopefully the new one works.

If not, I might be looking at the motherboard. But seeing as this happened in another comp as well, I am guessing it is just bad luck with the replacement HDD.