[SOLVED] Okay to run a Hyper 212 with no fan?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Alright here's my situation. The fan on my Hyper 212 has started vibrating and making unbearable noises. I've isolated the issue and it's definitely the Hyper 212 fan making the noise. At the moment, I don't have any replacement fans lying around.

So I tried to run the PC with just the case fan and downclocking my CPU to 3.2ghz; I'm only seeing a maximum temp of 55c while playing the game Paladins.

So if I downclock my CPU is it safe to temporarily run my PC without a fan on the Hyper 212?

Solution
You're fine.

There are several companies that make Passive coolers for pc's. Normally they are monstrous heatsinks, able to run at the full capacity of a cpu.

The only difference is that the full capacity of your cpu happens to be set much lower than it's physically capable of.

As long as the fan issue remains, the cpu MUST stay within the settings it has Now.

I'd advise getting a replacement fan asap, it's an easy swap, just 4 screws in the snap-bracket, fits a standard, square 120mm fan. Probably the best replacement would be a Noctua NF-P12, not the F12, can use the original tan or the Redux. It'll have sufficient static pressure and cfm for the heatsink while being somewhat quieter than the stock CM fan.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
This is not recommended (running the cooler without a fan). Can you swap one from your case to mount to the 212 while you wait to get a replacement fan?
Perhaps.

However, I wouldn't think 55c would be anything alarming, especially as a max temperature. I've run a stock cooler with a fan and got higher temps than that.

Alternatively, I do have a stock Intel fan I could swap out temporarily.

Owterspace

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
If you downclocked it and its running fine, you should be ok. Keep an eye on your temps, but you should be ok. Its not the best cooler on earth to be running like that. You can do much better.

Normally, a motherboard will not start unless it detects a fan running on the cpu fan header.

What is your cpu?

A cpu will monitor it's temperature and slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.

I think you are ok as a temporary measure.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You're fine.

There are several companies that make Passive coolers for pc's. Normally they are monstrous heatsinks, able to run at the full capacity of a cpu.

The only difference is that the full capacity of your cpu happens to be set much lower than it's physically capable of.

As long as the fan issue remains, the cpu MUST stay within the settings it has Now.

I'd advise getting a replacement fan asap, it's an easy swap, just 4 screws in the snap-bracket, fits a standard, square 120mm fan. Probably the best replacement would be a Noctua NF-P12, not the F12, can use the original tan or the Redux. It'll have sufficient static pressure and cfm for the heatsink while being somewhat quieter than the stock CM fan.

Solution
Even a passive air cooler will depend on some sort of air circulation to do it's job.
Thermal convection may do it, but it is not very efficient.
In the OP case, having a exhaust fan near the cooler tower is a good thing and will likely be sufficient.