[SOLVED] Okay to superglue a riser for cover plate ?

Apr 19, 2021
One of the risers for the cover plate for the M.2's came off the motherboard.
Can i just superglue it ? It's not near anything major, just need it there for a tight seal.

Solution
I would not worry much about overheating a m.2.
That only happens under sustained reading for 30 seconds or more like during a virus scan.
The worst that can happen is that the m.2 detects a hot temperature and slows down.
It looks like you have plenty of ventilation to your motherboard.
Leave it be.

Gluing structural parts is a losing proposition. The strength is simply not there with superglue.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not do so.

What M.2?

Superglue can be very unpredictable and problematic. Just on its' own not to mention the materials being joined.

Two likely scenarios:

1) the attempt could make a mess of things and fail to seal anyway.

2) the attempt succeeds, seals, and is so strong that later removal becomes extremely difficult and risky.

Consider some interim methods: double sided tape, maybe a good quality heat glue Just a drop....

There may be other thoughts and ideas but it will be very helpful to actually see the situation.

Take a couple of photographs and post to this thread via imgur.

Apr 19, 2021
I would not do so.

What M.2?

Superglue can be very unpredictable and problematic. Just on its' own not to mention the materials being joined.

Two likely scenarios:

1) the attempt could make a mess of things and fail to seal anyway.

2) the attempt succeeds, seals, and is so strong that later removal becomes extremely difficult and risky.

Consider some interim methods: double sided tape, maybe a good quality heat glue Just a drop....

There may be other thoughts and ideas but it will be very helpful to actually see the situation.

Take a couple of photographs and post to this thread via imgur.
Maybe i described it wrong. Its a little metal standoff between the board and the plate that covers the cipset and all the m.2 slots. It should not have come off in the first place. So if i glue it i would never need to take it off.

Ralston18

Titan
And I ( full disclosure) remain hesitant/unsure about the problem as a whole.

"It should not have come off in the first place...." May well be the case but I am not quite able to picture the situation.

A standoff should not need to be glued down or otherwise made permanent.

Are you able to post a couple of photographs?

Use imgur (www.imgur.com).

Apr 19, 2021

Ralston18

Titan
Nicely done with the photos...

I will hold with No glue.

Are the threads stripped?

Either in the hole or on the cover standoff attached to the cover?

Cover standoff threads appear to be a bit short. A replacement, slightly longer cover stand-off may be viable. Just an additional couple of threads perhaps....

There may be other options and ideas. Keep the topic open.

Apr 19, 2021
Nicely done with the photos...

I will hold with No glue.

Are the threads stripped?

Either in the hole or on the cover standoff attached to the cover?

Cover standoff threads appear to be a bit short. A replacement, slightly longer cover stand-off may be viable. Just an additional couple of threads perhaps....

There may be other options and ideas. Keep the topic open.
Im pretty sure the threads on the stand are stripped. Ill look for a longer one. But as long as it doesn't give me temp issues on my m.2 ill probably leave it since i can't glue it. But if im definitely open to ideas. I appreciate all the help

I would not worry much about overheating a m.2.
That only happens under sustained reading for 30 seconds or more like during a virus scan.
The worst that can happen is that the m.2 detects a hot temperature and slows down.
It looks like you have plenty of ventilation to your motherboard.
Leave it be.

Gluing structural parts is a losing proposition. The strength is simply not there with superglue.

Reactions: JSDUARTE92
Solution