Question Old 24" 1080p monitor - dead?

Vesperan

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Hi guys, just looking for a second opinion here.

I have an old Asus 24" monitor that I've had for a decade or so. For the past several years its been used on and off as a secondary monitor - using its HDMI connection (it also has DVI and VGA, although I've none of those cables anymore).

Anyway, a few days ago I struck the issue where it turns on fine (e.g. I get the Asus logo, and then a full blue screen) but then when connect via HDMI it just goes to standby and wont leave it (e.g. orange on the power light, not blue). I've double checked Windows 10 output settings (e.g. "Duplicate", "Extend", etc) and I've tried two PCs, both of which work fine to my main monitor. Plugging in an HDMI cable connected to a PC gets zero response from the old monitor.

I've purchased a new HDMI cable in the hopes of a cheap solution, but the only improvement has been that when you connect a PC, the old monitor will light up with "No HDMI Detected" or some such, then go back to standby.

So - thoughts? Anything else I could try - or is it time to bid a fond farewell?

Cheers in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Asus have a number of 24" monitors out in the wild, which one do you have? You might want to try and work with the VGA and DVI ports sans any adapters since adapters can be known to be an issue with some GPU's and panels. If you've tried all possible combinations of ports and cables, you might want to consider the idea of getting it inspected by a repair shop, as it seems to me that the monitor might've been struck during a lighting storm...or so it seems if the ports don't want to cooperate with known working PC's(per your anecdote).

Would help us two fold if we knew what sort of system's you're hooking the panel to apart from the panel's model.

Vesperan

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Cheers. Its an Asus VE 248 https://www.asus.com/nz/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/All-series/VE248H/

I've been using it without any adapters - just tried to two different HDMI cables.

Systems that h have been hooked into it(both of which have worked in the past) are a Toshiba laptop with HDMI output, and a gaming PC with Ryzen 5600X and Radeon RX6800. Both are stable systems with zero issues. I've also just checked with a 2017 Macbook Pro 15" (via a USB-C dock) and it doesnt work either.

I don't have any other cables that will work as I will need to purchase a HDMI to DVI/VGA cable given the computers I'm outputting from only have HDMI (or DisplayPort)...