[SOLVED] old amd fx compatibility on old weak motherboard

Jan 7, 2019
Hi sorry to disturb i am from a poor country called romania i have a old weak motherboard asrock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0 i put fx 8370 and to cool it i put a antec mercury 120 rgb liquid it is better that i put liquid cooler instead of air cooler and first time when i putt i made a mistake at pump it was pre applyed with thermal paste i mounted on cpu but the radiator no had room first time and then i pulled the pump from cpu to mount again but not apply thermal paste the second time is it danger to crash it?excuse me God bless all

Solution
I would be worried about the board more than the CPU, actually I'd be worried about the entire system catching fire since the board is ill equipped with VRM's in spite of the FX-8370 being listed in it's CPU support list.

Board that were better built than that ASRock you own, have caught fire because of bad power delivery albeit having beefy heatsinks on the VRM. Your board doesn't even have a heatsink on the VRM let alone a beefy power delivery.

Lutfij

Titan
I would be worried about the board more than the CPU, actually I'd be worried about the entire system catching fire since the board is ill equipped with VRM's in spite of the FX-8370 being listed in it's CPU support list.

Board that were better built than that ASRock you own, have caught fire because of bad power delivery albeit having beefy heatsinks on the VRM. Your board doesn't even have a heatsink on the VRM let alone a beefy power delivery.

Solution
Jan 7, 2019
yes thanks alot for help i stay with case open now in winter but when its warm im afraid to not catch fire i was thinking it was supported with this weak motherboard

Thermal compound needs to be applied between CPU and the cooler. a small amount is necessary.

Warning from ASRock concerning that model:
* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

The warning notice indicates need to have air flowing over electrical parts surrounding the CPU socket. A case with a side fan may be easier to cool the motherboard that way.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147166