Old AMD5 CPU update?

G

I've an older system that does everything I want except it's slow. Has an AMD 5 100mhz processor. 32mg RAM The mother board is a PT-2006 (don't know who makes it) The manual says "it combines the advanced capabilities of the Intel 82430VX PCIset." I'm only guessing that(chip set)is what is in there. The manual also says, '"can be easily updated using its 321-pin ZIF socket."
So, time to start all over and use this old system as "clean fill" or can I put a faster CPU in this thing?
Thanks in advance!

Work for what really matters

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Hi nimnorf2:

Not sufficient information provided.
Although your motherboard is labeled as PT-2006, it is better to know the brand and exact model, version from the manual (you mentioned it and quoted from).
Then you would be able to find whether THE BEST upgrade processor possible for your mobo: AMD K-2/500. And you have to check the manufacturer's site about your BIOS compatability or upgrade.
Your recent AMD-K5 processor operates at 3.52 Volts (Voltage Reduced and Extended Setting).
You need an input/output voltage of 3.3 V and a core 2.0 V on your motherboard to upgrade to AMD K-2/500 processor (or 2.2 V for AMD K-2/400 if you find one).
Sure, the simpliest upgrade is using an old AMD-K6 PR-166 (actually runs
at only 117 true MHz), also Socket 7 Pentium 200/233 possible variants.
But again, double check the voltage and BIOS specs for the motherboard, not for the chipset, not for the 321-pin Socket7, everything looks fine with them.
Other possible solution using voltage converters is not cost efficient.
For example, buying an upgrade kit of AMD K6-2/500 c/w power converter from Powerleap will cost you equaly or even more when buying a new motherboard (AT or ATX) c/w a new AMD processor.
And the prices for new generation of processors and SDRAM are cheap now.
For your motherboard you can increase the RAM to 64 MB(maximum cachable) if you have an empty slot for it and if you agree to pay much extra for the old memory.

Regards,
Nick

viper2211

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
dont even spend time trying to replace it with faster and newer parts just sell the thing to some mex for more than its worth and buy yourself a nice new fast system that you can actually enjoy!!!(or u can sell it in the triad for more than its worth too!!)
<b>BUY A WHOLE NEW SYSTEM</b>

"1 Kb is all you will ever need"

says my grandpa