Question Old and New DRAM sticks compatibility issues. (Crashing)

21CmOfPain

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
My old PC which I'm giving away to my sister has 8GB of ram, so I decided to add 8GB more but me being in a rush I bought the exact same ram sticks but with the only difference being the manufacturing date (years apart). Turns out the ticking timing of the sticks has changed and now they crash under load (but I had them crash once while idling). Because of another little incompatibility ram needs to run at 2133. I believe the only solution would be to manually set the ram timings and everything but I have no idea what values to put.

Imgur album of all the settings I've tried so far:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cctwBje

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Run cpuz with each stick separately and write down the timing values under memory tab.

For the first four numbers;
Cl
Trcd
Trp
Tras

Set bios memory timing to match the stick with the highest values regarding the above timing abbreviations. Should recognise the same abbreviations in the bios. Dram voltage to 1.35, maybe 1.4. Lastly command rate of 2T if the above fails.

Reactions: 21CmOfPain

21CmOfPain

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
Run cpuz with each stick separately and write down the timing values under memory tab.

For the first four numbers;
Cl
Trcd
Trp
Tras

Set bios memory timing to match the stick with the highest values regarding the above timing abbreviations. Should recognise the same abbreviations in the bios. Dram voltage to 1.35, maybe 1.4. Lastly command rate of 2T if the above fails.

Okay so I did exactly what you told me BUT all of the four numbers you mentioned were the same only difference was the tRFC (row refresh) timing, the old set had 193 and the new set had 313. I set all sticks to 313 (didn't know if I should set the higher or lower number so I did as you mention for the other numbers) and so far it seems to be stable after testing it with memtest64 and prime95 for 30 mins (used to crash after 10-15 mins. Dram voltage left untouched at 1.5. If it doesn't crash by tomorrow I will mark your answer as the best one

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh ok is this for DDR3 ram is it? Somehow i thought DDR4 being 2133 1.2v. Yeah 1.5 if DDR3 could go as high as 1.65 but would start 0.5 increments starting with 1.55v if have problems.

Or increase those timings mentioned up a notch +1 for each keeping to 1.5v. I don't know about tRFC, don't think this matters much when manually configuring timings, long as you put in the first four but you got it working so maybe it does matter.

Last edited:

21CmOfPain

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
Exact same sets, G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB DDR3-2400MHz (F3-2400C11D-8GXM) one bought 2013 and the other one 2019. Both have the same timings (CL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) only difference was the tRFC. According to motherboards specifications (GA-X79-UP4 rev 1.1) "Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules". Turning on XMP was suggested by another member on here (very experienced).